Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #537 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_kid View Post
Yeah out on the pass just out past a-basin.. But I had all my gear with me and have been through a few different back country/ avalanche training..
I'm glad you've sought out some training and have gear, but based on that forecast, you thought it was a good idea to lap N/NE facing alpine terrain (assuming you were doing the standard hot laps)?

Do what you want, but I would've only been on terrain like that if I was with very knowledgeable people who were intimately familiar with that terrain and what's been going on in that snowpack. There's safe stuff out there to ride for sure, but you need a lot of knowledge and local experience to find it. I pretty much stay out of avy terrain in the backcountry unless I'm with people who know a lot more than I do. The first step in avalanche awareness is to realize that when you're first starting out, you pretty much know just enough to make you dangerous.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 02-10-2013 at 06:34 PM.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote