Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread

644K views 8K replies 303 participants last post by  bseracka 
#1 ·
I know it's early, but damn, we need some snow.

Colorado | OpenSnow

That shit looks like a repeat of last season.

#515 ·
I normally can find fresh lines all over the place @ BC but many of my stashes had lines in them. The trees are probably still good, soft but not with fresh powder. Still some powder out there if you look and know the mountain.

There is a winter storm warning for Beaver Creek starting at 12 am tonight all the way to Monday . Maybe the snow will come down on Beaver Creek for you tonight. I will be gassin up the truck on my next day off and going over there as long as the snow falls like predicted, or Vail. I was not planning on going to Beaver Creek on Thursday but was up unusually early and looked at the snow reports. I was like, 2 inches or 8, hmmmm.

No winter storm warning for Summit :(

#521 ·
It was snowing pretty heavily at Winter Park today when I was leaving at noon and judging by fact that WP has been getting hit pretty consistently better than any other resorts in Colorado excluding WC,Silverton, and Steamboat, I'd say tomorrow should be pretty good at WP/ Mary Jane.

#522 ·
Have some buddies goin to vail, another going to keystone, but I have buy one get one free lift tickets to Loveland,copper,winter park, monarch, crested butte, or powder horn.. So undecided.. Might just do keystone as he's pretty much my neighbor and just ride up together

#528 · (Edited)
Winter Park reported 5" this morning and at least half of that fell between 11am and 4pm yesterday. Somehow didn't seem worth it waking up super early and leaving the house by 6 for the second day in a row. Although traffic doesn't look to bad on I-70 right now, I still don't feel like dealing with the weekend cluster fuck at the resorts. Probably will be up at WP or making some roadside laps down LL pass on Monday.

#533 ·
Riding the pass from top of swan mountain is a must do if you've never done it.. It's good to have at least 3 or 4 buddies around and have someone to drive to the bottom and drive back up taking turns but amazing fresh pow.. And miss a lot of I-70 bs and Eisenhower all together

#534 ·
Is there a Swan Mountain Road that I don't know about? :dunno:

The only Swan Mountain Road I know of just cuts over from Breck to Keystone around Dillon Lake.

I assume you're talking about Loveland Pass. If so, please tell me you're not one of those fucking jongs out there lapping the pass with no knowledge or gear.

If so, you're lucky you didn't die. Give this a quick read and realize that you're alive because of sheer luck.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/pub_bc_avo.php?zone_id=1

Here's the pertinent part:
"Human triggered avalanches will be likely in the fresh wind slab today. Expect to see fresh wind slabs today. These fresh slabs are likely going to doze out the winters snowpack. Many recent human triggered avalanches were triggered mid track and well down the path. This scenario can quickly lead to deep burials."

#537 · (Edited)
I'm glad you've sought out some training and have gear, but based on that forecast, you thought it was a good idea to lap N/NE facing alpine terrain (assuming you were doing the standard hot laps)?

Do what you want, but I would've only been on terrain like that if I was with very knowledgeable people who were intimately familiar with that terrain and what's been going on in that snowpack. There's safe stuff out there to ride for sure, but you need a lot of knowledge and local experience to find it. I pretty much stay out of avy terrain in the backcountry unless I'm with people who know a lot more than I do. The first step in avalanche awareness is to realize that when you're first starting out, you pretty much know just enough to make you dangerous.

#542 ·
Man... traffic ruins the fun of going up for the weekend. We rent a place in Silverthorne and yesterday we stayed up there until 7:30 (after riding Keystone until 3:30, hanging out at the bar for another hour, packing our stuff, etc.) and it STILL took us almost 2.5 hours to get back to the city.

Wish I had a more flexible work schedule (instead of M-F, 8-5) so I could avoid all of these clowns.

I just don't understand how there are THAT many people heading back from the mountains consistently from noon until 10pm.

That said, nothing too special about the snow this weekend (Vail Saturday, Keystone yesterday) but it wasn't terrible. My buddies went to Beaver Creek saturday and said it was nice... they found a lot of fresh tracks. Vail reported 1" that morning, but we were riding in Northwoods and it was at least 6" on top... but super light, fluffy snow. Opposite of last weekend which was a little wetter/heavier.

#544 ·
Man... traffic ruins the fun of going up for the weekend. We rent a place in Silverthorne and yesterday we stayed up there until 7:30 (after riding Keystone until 3:30, hanging out at the bar for another hour, packing our stuff, etc.) and it STILL took us almost 2.5 hours to get back to the city.
Yeah, we went down the mountain last night to watch a movie and coming back up at a little after 10 I was surprised how much traffic was still heading back east. I-70E was still pretty damn packed.

#545 ·
Heading up this weekend and wondering where to go. I'm not sure if I went on presidents day weekend last year, but I'm assuming it may be packed up there this weekend. Last weekend wasn't too bad but I've heard some things about this weekend. I've got a 4 pack to Loveland, would it be best to use it this weekend and avoid the crowds at the bigger places?

#546 ·
This is one of those weekends I'll either go up gor an hour in the morning and bail or not go at all.... maybe just film in our big park all weekend with my son. The tourists and weekend warriors usually stay clear of it. Its gonna be stupid packed.

#547 ·
I went to Beaver Creek for a reported 2 inches of snow. Well, that was a fantastic idea. The mountain was very stashy and the trees were great. They were very ridable. It felt so great to shred trees and powder all day. I ventured into previously unexplored areas of the mountain. I also found 3 shacks in one day.

I guess a lot of people stayed home on Sunday or went to some other mountain, cause the Beavs was awesome today. It's such a nice mountain.

#549 ·
I'm gonna head up Thursday. Probably go early and bounce by 1:30 or 2. Looking at the forecasts, Thursday should be pretty good. Hopefully the storm will speed up a little and hit 8-12 hours earlier than predicted. That would make for a sweet day. As is, Friday morning really looks like the money shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.