Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - "The Fear" Snowboarding Psychology Coaching?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Soggysnow

Default "The Fear" Snowboarding Psychology Coaching?

For most of us, we have experienced 'the fear' at some point or a few points in our days of snowboarding.

My latest one is a fear of boxes, and specific ones at that. While everyone at my level is progressing ahead of me, not afraid to try, and not failing when they do- I am lagging behind because I am constantly losing an ongoing mental conversation. When it comes around to trying, I DO injure myself adding to the problem (current injury mild concussion). I have tried ride on rails, with no mind issues, so know I can definitely do it and when I get it down, I love the feeling.

Obviously this is a problem for some more than others *puts hand up*
I would like to know if there is something that works for you, how do you get over the fear and not only start trying something (for the first time, or for the 100th time, until the fear set in) and succeeding?

Do you get take yourself away from that feature for awhile, do other things and then come back to it? Or do you jump in and just keep trying? What do you do when you can't make yourself do it anymore because the fear takes over?

Any of your own experiences, links, books- Anything that can help myself and others conquer the mind and get back on track. I am also interested in the differences between the men and the ladies. It seems in general we learn a little differently, and I am curious to know if there is a difference when dealing and getting over "the fear"

ta

Last edited by Soggysnow; 02-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Soggysnow is offline   Reply With Quote