Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Nozawa onsen 23rd~27th January 2013
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
ippy

The really obvious lines are up yamabiko. I have a feeling though your local dude did the right thing. No avi reports yet, but im assuming it was pretty tricky this weekend. That ice layer (which im honestly amazed you felt - well, if you werent just riding under the yamabiko lift - that line might as well be a groomer its so tracked), is really serious stuff. Felt it for reals on friday at suginohara. We had about 15-20cms at the start of the day, and when you hit it, you really felt it. Barely any traction in it at all. Its a pure solid sheet of ice. As the day went on though, the snow got deeper and it disappeared.

Saturday was good fun. Despite massive screw ups, that face i was telling you about, unlike the ice walls, this one was sugared up. The loose snow broke in with it creating just enough to rip you down the hill a bit. Plenty fo trees though to arrest it, but conditions definitely indicate that heading off the beaten track would be insane.

Sunday gave it all a chance to compress. And then sunday night/mondays snow would have seriously given me cause for concern. A bit of weight on that under layer and i assume its sliding. At least thats how my brain decided what to avoid riding.

Often a lack of knowledge is a great protection. If i actually knew what i was talking about i might have taken a chance on it.

But who the hell needed it anyway, monday was awesome fun on piste. Just played on Kurokura (the steepish line coming off ushikubi into higake)... i could have ridden that all day. And i would have if my stuff wasnt in nagasaka. Ill never get bored of destroying moguls!
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote