Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#3,099 ·
Unless you're making an impulse buy after seeing something interesting on a closeout rack/online sale. If there's a board you really want, just buy it now and enjoy it. It's worth the extra $50-75 to buy it and be able to ride it right meow.

I have no qualms about buying hardgoods at full retail. Soft goods, that's another story.

#3,117 ·
Also, I was a starting outside linebacker in high school, so I'm used to chasing around you little fuckers. Although with the bad knees, extra weight and strained groin I'll concede that you'd likely get away with it.

#3,123 ·
Yeah, the first time I never met Leo I was like "huh, he's an Asian guy?". :laugh:

Sab I lift a few times a week on my lunch hour down at Oak Park Y. It's a bit of a hike from you but you're always welcome to tag along.

#3,126 ·
Doesn't it make you feel like "WTF?"

Being that we are MArtists, you'd think we have good cores. That's why I'm in love with the roller now.

I'm up to being able to roll out 20+ times. Even then, my arms are giving out rather than abs lol. I've seen people roll all the way out from standing position to a push up position and back. I fail miserably at that. I think only a select few athletes can do that haha.

I want to try it with a ball now.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3,130 ·
I've seen people roll all the way out from standing position to a push up position and back.
That's the way I tried it at first. Ha, that was impossible for me. I only managed a few off my knees but I'm going to keep doing it because I can feel the obvious benefits of it.

And let me also say that I would not really consider myself a martial artist at all. I worked out with those fighters a few years ago and now just stick with riding, lifting and the occasional rec league softball and basketball. So, I'm not expected ANYTHING out of my core strength at this point in my life, haha.

#3,131 ·
Yeah, I've done it before so I know the lower back stress. My friend had one years ago and my gym has one.

The good news is that once my bones heal, they're going to be stronger than they were before the accident. It's just a matter of getting my strength back at that point. July is probably realistically too soon for that kind of core workout but by the end of summer we'll see.

#3,135 ·
Leo, Big Sky has terrain for pretty much any level and it seems like the majority of their runs are blue groomers...basically you don't get to the intense stuff until you head up higher past where the base lifts go. It's been my favorite place I've been so far and hope to go back...Whistler may replace that (2 weeks away!!!!!).

#3,136 ·
Board is on truck for delivery today, so it should be there when I get home tonight bishes!

Looks like this weekend is shaping up to be good weather too...can't wait (sorry sab).

#3,158 ·
Board came. It's awesome and all, but man it really doesn't SEEM all that much stiffer than my old Burton Bullet. Granted, I'm sure I'll notice the difference when I actually ride it, but still....

Layer of wax cooling on it as we speak.

#3,159 ·
There's a point when all that strength makes everything seem noodly lol.

Also, remember the rocker is more pronounced in the middle on the NS. Its already bent for you in the direction you're flexing it.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when you ride it. I will warn you to be conscious of your edges. That camber section can catch you when you're off guard.

Sam has seen me catch a phantom edge before.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3,160 · (Edited)
Mainly on flats is where he needs to maintain an edge.

I've caught literally 1 edge since I got the Legacy. I had a few close calls where it felt like I should have been thrown off but it never happened. It's the super mellow terrain that I don't really like riding with this board because of how much work it is to hold an edge when it's so looooooong and flat and boring.