Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Tracker 2 Beacon
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

It's not real. At least I have yet to see a working model. It is on a backorder status with MEC. They have been talking about this beacon for two years now. It was suppose to come out last year and then they went back to the drawing board. With their emphasis on single vs multiple burial technology, BCA feels like they are a little stuck in the past. The Pieps DSP is light years ahead of the original Tracker and I suspect the Tracker 2 (if it's produced this year) does not match up. All of the things that BCA says a beacon should focus on the DSP does better than what they could put out.
Now the original Tracker turned the beacon industry on it's ear with it's digital processor and ease of use. Still a solid beacon. It's started to fall behind and BCA realized this late. They are playing catch up. Another thing is that I would give the Tracker 2 a generation for them to work out their bugs or at least to see what other users find out.
I should be able to get a hands on with the Tracker 2 at some point here. I'll definitely put a review up of my thoughts once I get to play with it. I've been surprised by more than one beacon over the years. Hopefully it will be another great beacon on the market. I do give credit to BCA for taking their time and trying to get it right. You just shouldn't hype it if you are not 100% sure it's going to be there.
The Ortovox S1 was a complete disaster in terms of marketing. It's now a pretty damn fine beacon.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote