Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Painting binding ratchets
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks View Post
For sure, its a huge hassle and never stays. I had a shitty rental board that I bought after season for $30 when I first started and painted it a couple times and no matter how many layers of paint or clear coat I used it never stayed.
Sounds like you might have messed up. It doesn't matter how many layers of paint you put on, in fact more doesn't equal better. If you're painting anything, the most important step is surface prep, and the second most important step is having the right primer. Primer will bond with the surface and the paint, and nothing should come off. Painting a snowboard isn't particularly difficult, as the main surface your working with is usually a fibreglass resin that most primers will stick to...

That said, the ratchets will be significantly harder. They look almost like they were powder coated from the factory (although I've never held them to check) and powder coating is WAY tougher than paint as far as durability.

Painting the highbacks or baseplates is one thing, but I think painting major wear items on bindings would be a no go... It is possible but not easy to make it last.

Just my $0.02 of course.

If they're metal you could take them somewhere and have them re-powder coated a different colour, chromed, or just polished. The thing I like about the Burton ratchets is they're usually just coloured metal. Nothing really to wear off.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote