Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Tracker 2 Beacon
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 AM
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Yeah, the DSP can be a bit pricey. I have the one without all the bells and whistles (inclinometer and such) and it works great for what I want. A beacon.

I haven't found anyone who has any experience with it except for the BCA guys. So I have no idea. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Tracker 2 does not come out this year.

If you are looking for an inexpensive 3 antenna beacon, check out the Ortovox D3. I found it to be highly accurate and easy to use. It's basically the same as the Tracker 2 in what they promise. I found the range to be around 40 meters if I remember correctly. Pretty good for a digital beacon. Pinpointing was a breeze with it. I also like the the fact that to put the Beacon on you have to turn it on. Something both the Pieps and Tracker lack. Not sure of the Tracker 2 but I suspect it's the same. Too many times I have gone out with people that have forgotten to turn on their beacon. I've also left my Pieps on for a week. I was impressed though the batteries were only drained to 70% after 6 days of being on. If you find the Tracker 2 to be on infinite back order, you might consider swapping for that one.