Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Importance of Mid-layer in overall breathability?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
snowman55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre View Post
Before I ran out and bought something new, I'd try washing your gear in Nikwax Tech Wash to see if it isn't some old detergent residue reducing the breathability. Beyond that, base and mid layers are generally cheaper than shells, so I'd start there. My favorite stuff for either base or mid layers is Polartec Power Stretch. They also have a product called Power Dry that may be an improvement for you, which is what Patagonia uses in Capilene 3 and 4. You could also consider switching to a softshell instead of a hardshell when you don't need absolute waterproofness (and you generally don't, unless you're out in the rain or slush or wallowing around in wet snow).

Or maybe you're just dressing too warm in the first place. What kind of temperatures are you wearing all that stuff in? If I was wearing what you're wearing in anything over about 20F I'd be sweating my butt off, personally. Even the best technical clothing can only do so much. Overdressing to the point of serious sweating is going to feel clammy (and eventually cold) no matter what fancy clothes you're wearing.
I do wash my outer shell and pants in Nikwax Tech Wash. I use Penguin detergent for all other layers. Penguin wash is equivalent to Nikwax base wash.

I even sweat when it's cold out. I was riding few days this year when it was around 17F with wind chill of 3F and I was still wet.

thanks
snowman55 is offline   Reply With Quote