Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - AngrySnowboarder...this is for you
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo_dom View Post
I always say its the skiers that barrel down unable to slow down or stop. Snowboarders dont usually go more than 2-3m before they catch an edge and eat snow
Agreed. I see far more out of control, speeding beginners on skis than I do snowboards. I think the fact that it takes awhile to get used to being parallel to the board helps curb that in beginner snowboarders. It's pretty unnatural to stay parallel to the board. All beginners have to fight the urge to square their shoulders toward the direction of motion. That's just the way we're wired as bipedal creatures. You have to fight your instincts to be able to snowboard properly. When beginners cave to that instinct, they catch an edge and eat shit. Skiers don't have to fight that. When they square their shoulders to the direction of motion, they just go faster and faster. They actually have to fight their instincts in order to stop quickly, hockey style. That's why they teach them the wedge at first, that way they have a way to stop, or at least slow down, without having to fight their instincts.