Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Running Hot, Goggle fog!!!!

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  VonZipper 
#1 ·
For body temp I naturally run hot. All I wear is a shell jacket/pants and a long sleeve base layer as well as base layer bottoms. Head wear i rock a helmet with no beanie. My base layers are just the thin Burton type maybe medium thickness a little like a t shirt material maybe a little thicker. I sweat a lot when I ride still even with vents open on the jacket.

Due to all this I get goggle fog starting at the top of my lens from the heat coming from my forehead.:thumbsdown:

Hw can I battle this cause it really sucks!! I have the Anon Comrades so it isnt due to cheap goggles either.:dunno:

#2 ·
I would eliminate the sweating. I sweat a bit when riding but not bad. Does your helmet have adjustable vents?!? Worth it methinks...

Also what do you wear around your neck/face? If I'm in the trees/powder and working hard I've got to open my jacket a bit to let heat escape. I think it's all about managing your body temp. Wear the right clothes so that on the lift you zip everything up and are just right, open vents on the way down to keep from overheating.

just my $.02 of course...

#7 ·
I've never seen the Mutiny up close. It says there are "hidden vents"... I sure can't see them on the website.

I wear glasses so I really can't have fogging. This season I am using a Giro Seam with the "stack vent". It's an always open vent at the front of the helmet that lines up with the top vent of my goggles (VZ Feenoms). Once in motion, zero fogging.

Have you tried any other helmets?

#4 ·
The only solution is to stop riding around Vancouver!!! lol Too much moisture in the air!

Smith makes a google with a fan in it, my GF used to use them with glasses and they worked really well. Used a single AAA battery that would last a couple days I think.

#6 ·
does your helmet have vents that let air escape above the goggles or is it solid there? I would assume it is blocked becuase most helmets are solid there (ones that are not useually advertise it) Bern helmets for instance have no venting over the goggles where smith and giro do on some of thier models.

I also run hot, I just take my helmet off on the lift and let myself air out :p

#8 ·
Lol I've had this same problem for years! I'm the fattest sweatiest bastard on the mountain. I swear I start sweating before I even start riding. I've had the turbo fans and they do a pretty good job but obviously that won't work unless you are changing your goggles. I switched to the Smith I/O's last season and they've been money and haven't fogged once, they are hands down the best goggles I've ever owned and I've owned just about all of them in my time. That again doesn't solve your problem though. One thing I did find that I put into my Scott Fix goggles was an aftermarket fan that has an automatic humidity sensor that turns them on as soon as it senses extra moisture. Scott markets them for the Snowmobile and motocross scene but they're actually just a rebrand of this: Eliminate Fog in any goggle with the Haber Eliminator Automated Fan

This works pretty well, is relatively cheap if you look around and should fit your Anon's no problem.

#10 ·
My jacket and pants do have zippers and i do open the pit vents as well as sometimes the leg vents too.

The Mutiny helmet vents enter in just under the brim and let air into the helmet to help cool your head. I don't feel a whole lot of air flow though. although I do have a lot of hair right now compared to before.

#11 ·
The stack vent on the Giro makes all the difference for me. My goggles never fog, my glasses are the challenge, and they just don't fog in this helmet.

I don't know if any other helmets do something similar.

If you've got an REI near you, buy a giro, try it, if it doesn't cut it, return it. They're awesome like that.

#16 · (Edited)
I have the same problem with every goggle. I have just never tried the iox turbo fan other than in a shop.... I just don't wanna give up my peripheral vision now.... I use eg2 goggles now and only have fogging issues when waiting up for slow riders, waiting in long lift lines or hiking. I have freezing issues if it's under about 5F. I wnow just carry an extra pair or an extra lens on days I know it is gonna happen. I also took a piece of foam out of the top of my goggle frames and that helps moisture escape faster.

I have found that if I leave my goggles on my helmet with my wet gloves in the helmet, the fog more often. I have tried anti fog shit but never cat crap, it works for a very short time...

My son is the same way too.... Fogs up anything. He wears eg2.5. He got some free air brakes afterbwinning an event and they fogged up on him too. He wore them once and put them back in the box. He likes the electrics a lot better.

Smith iox is the only thing we would switch too just for the turbo fan. Just needs a little less blind spots.

#20 ·
If you get the I/O's I would almost guarantee you wouldn't need to spend the money on the Turbofan model. The Regular I/OX or I/O probably won't fog on you either. They designed the lens so that moisture can breathe through it. That's why I haven't had any issues since switching to them.

I'm telling you though, check out that aftermarket fan I mentioned. It's really a solid alternative.

#21 ·
That aftermarket fan is very interesting. Is there another company that has a similar design? I currently have the smith prophey turbo fan and it is the only goggle so far thar helps my glasses from fogging

I need an aftermarket solution when i receive my zeal z3.....

#22 ·
That one and the same rebranded Scott one were the only aftermarket fans I could find when I looked a couple of years ago. There may be others but that would probably fit your Zeal's. The only goggles I had issues with them fitting in were my Vonzipper Feenom's and it was because of the curvature or lack there of in the goggle that made it a difficult fit. It did fit just not perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.