Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - I bet Hugo is PISSED
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
slimpanzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooz View Post
Nah demand is still fairly high across the board. Plus OPEC will make another 500,000-1,000,000 barrel cut when they meet again. That will keep true supply vs demand pricing around $65-$70. Now if we can really cut our demand it'll hurt him good. Don't get too excited over pure electric cars. You still need to charge them. Guess how they fuel electricity production Leep in mind that the oil required to run a gasoline car is always going to be less than the amount required to provide electricity that will fuel an electric car.

Stronger fuel cells (electric) are needed first. After that, use nuclear power to provide electricity to power the electric cars and we'll be free of oil. Just don't go tossing those things up in a hurry. No one wants to glow.
Thus the reason Obama's energy plan makes more sense. The US has some of the best wind resources in the world... only natural to capitalize on that. In WA state, over 75% of our electricity comes from one Hydro electric damn (the Grand Coulee). In fact, the Grand Coulee damn is one of (if not the) biggest power plants in the States. 8% is Nuke and 7% is Natural gas. The rest is coal. So for me, driving an electric car would really mean I'd be reducing my need for oil.

The energy infrastructure needs modernizing and we need to capitalize on Hydro, wind, solar and nuke... there is no reason to drill, thinking that will lower the price of anything.