Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need advice buying gloves
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cyfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkovitch View Post
My current gloves are starting to get worn out and rarely ever keep me as warm. It's a pair I found on the hill a couple seasons after the hill closed and almost everyone was gone. It's a pair of Börne mittens. I can't say much about them since I can't find the company website but the mitts say ski team and 40g of thinsulation. I'm looking for something a lot warmer. I live in Montreal so temperatures generally vary from 0 to -20 but It can get a lot colder( after a storm last month the top of Tremblant was -50 ) I have thin blood and my circulation isn't too great so I get cold very easily. I prefer mittens for the extra warmth. I'm looking to spend around 100$ but if Its worth it to spend the extra 20-40$ I wouldn't mind. If I could spend less and get a pair of good gloves I wouldn't mind though as I can put the money towards a new board next season. What do you guys recommend? Hopefully I've given enough information but I can give more if necessary
I know what you're talking about when it comes to thin blood. A few months ago I got very sick and it turned out blood clots had entered my lungs and nearly killed me. To date I've been on prescription blood thinners and I will be on them for life due to complications post injury. So when it gets cold my hands are the first to feel it. I've been so cold a few times I've lost feeling in my fingers. That said, I use the Burton AK Oven Mitts. They are super warm, pile fleece liners, 20g of Primaloft insulation, tough leather palms, and Gore-Tex Wind-Stopper material through out the mitts. These are my go to gear for those very cold days that I know I'm at greater risk of frost bite and hypothermia. Check em out, they are not cheap but well worth the cash if your hands tend to get cold.

Also since I had to take these meds I've found that gloves and mitts made primarily of leather tend to get colder faster. Leather palms are ok but when it's all leather the cold just lays on them. Look for Gore-Tex in anything you decide on though, it can make the difference between frozen fingers and a good day on the hill. Good luck, PM me with questions if you like I've learned a lot about being cold this season.
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote