Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#3,163 ·
I think I may be having a case of boardochondria, maybe it's because this is my first expensive board. Anyways, noticed a very, very minor base/edge separation in a couple of spots on the board. Noticed it after scraping. Even though it's minor I wonder if I should contact never summer about it. Can water potentially get in there and ruin the board? At first I wondered if it was just normal because it is so minor but I looked at my old board for comparison and those edges are all perfectly flush. Do I say fuck it and ride it?

#3,165 · (Edited)
I took some on my shitty phone and have them saved on my kindle, but can't figure out how to post them here. Yes, I'm not smart with this shit.

Ok figured it out I think. Like I said, minor but if you look close you can see what I'm talking about. I'm inclined to ride it but wanted other opinions.

Attachments

#3,168 ·
I think it may be, but the thing is that the edge is perfectly flush around the majority of the board. This is why I'm not sure what the deal is, and I obviously haven't had enough experience to know the difference. Like I said I don't see this on my old board, but that base is also extruded and black so it may not be comparable.

#3,170 ·
Cosmetically, I could give two shits and a fuck about it. If it's just a tiny space between the edge and base that's sealed with clear epoxy or something, fine I'll just ride it. But I'm only concerned if this is something that would allow water to get in there.

#3,173 ·
I did email them but I am interested in what Leo thinks about it. I don't want to mess with sending it anywhere but at the same time it's a brand new and relatively expensive board.

#3,179 ·
My bases look like that on some of my colored bases. I'm assuming they are on the black based boards as well, just don't really notice.

I haven't had any problems, but I also don't have the level of concern you guys do because it isn't out of pocket for me :p

It's good you contacted NS. Honestly, they shouldn't care if you ride it for now. You contacted them already so you have your ass covered. Let them know you got it in time for a trip and you plan on riding it.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3,180 ·
ThAnks Leo, it's not a big deal but it's just a bit of a bummer is all. I expected for the money and reviews that this Heritage would be super quality compared to my old low end Burton. Maybe my expectations were too high. Like I said, I'm sure the I'll notice the quality difference when I ride it. Sent email before 8 am their time today, haven't heard a thing back...

#3,181 ·
So my board went on sale today. Dogfunk refunded me 56 bucks no questions asked. They also told me not to worry about the board. If something happens even after I ride it and NS doesn't take care of me, then they will refund it no questions asked. Awesome service, thought I'd share that.

#3,185 ·
Wish my boys were just a bit older, we'd be at Hawk Island right now....wife and daughter gone for the night. Been cooped up at home with them all day and just really want to ride.

#3,188 ·
So Vince at NS called...awesome awesome guy. He said its not unusual but some are put together a bit better than others and I may have gotten one with a bit more separation than normal. He totally understood and offered to cherry pick a 2014 model for me. They really do care about their quality and customers. I'm hesitant to take him up on that; I don't want to take advantage of them. Pretty rad of them though. Thought I'd share that even though I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about this.

#3,189 ·
Vince helped me out too. It was evident that he wanted to take care of my issue completely. I was super impressed by him and how much they seemed to care.

I have a hankering for a Michigan made Marhar at some point to support local guys but outside of that, I don't see me leaving the Never Summer line unless something crazy happens.

Call me a fanboy if you want but I reward businesses that I feel go above and beyond for me whether tire shops or snowboard companies.

#3,190 ·
Call me a fanboy if you want but I reward businesses that I feel go above and beyond for me whether tire shops or snowboard companies.
+1 for that. I told him that if I like the board he's probably made a loyal customer out of me. Hell he even wants me to call him back to let him know how it goes this weekend; he genuinely gave a fuck.

I decided that I'm just gonna keep this one and he assured me he'd take care of it if I had any problems. Rock on motherfuckers.

#3,191 ·
think i'm gonna cancel plans for Crystal on Sunday. I know it's going to be a shit show, and there's no hotels within an hour of there with any open rooms for Saturday night. I just don't think it's worth spending 6 hours in a car to ride for maybe 4 hours or so with my nephew. Probably end up at Mt. Holly instead or maybe over to Cannonsburg. Not sure yet.

#3,195 ·
Conditions were beautiful at Crystal today; might have been some of the best snow I've had this year so far. But the crowds were another story. Actually, after 4 pm or so the place had started to empty out a bit, and by 6 pm the lines were gone and runs were empty. But before then it was a fucking magic show.

I'm just on my Kindle so I'll post more about my board when I'm on something easier to type on, but the short story is that it was amazing. Just amazing. Call me crazy, however, because I'm actually toying with the idea of sending it back for a Raptor.:dunno:

#3,199 · (Edited)
I will write up a more comprehensive post when I have more time, but in short this thing was like cruising down the hill in a Cadillac, but one with the turn responsiveness of a race car. The goddamn thing ran over everything in its path, once I got used to its initial propensity to turn, grab and hold edges. Took me about half a dozen runs, but after that it felt like an extension of my feet and became more fun with each subsequent run.

Also, since sleeping on it, I've decided to keep this one since I like it so much and maybe stretch to a Raptor in a couple of years in addition to this board. What made me say that in my previous post was that this board still feels a bit soft to me. But after thinking it through, maybe stiffer bindings will help me maximize the responsiveness of this board.