Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Red Bull Ultra Natural
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #42 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
  • Metric is best for units of liquid measure
  • Miles/Kilometers is a wash. Whatever you're used to will feel best
  • Fahrenheit is better for accurate temperatures for daily living
  • Metric is best for weight. Even Americans use metric in healthcare for weight/liquids to calculate dosing and whatnot. Old school doctors still write in ounces but we just automatically convert it to grams/milliliters.

Let's just come together and bash the Brits for their usage of "stone". What's THAT shit all about?
Actually I'd say cups are easier to use when cooking than 250 ml increments, but the whole point of metric is that conversion is easier. So I'd be okay with having 500 ml of flour mixed with 500 ml of beer in my fish batter recipe!

Miles vs Kilometers to me is a prime example of metrics better system! What's a mile? 5280 feet? 1760 yards? Those are numbers that have to be memorized. Kilo means thousand, meter means meter, kilometer is 1000 meters. Half a km is 500 m, half a mile is what? 2640 feet?

Neither system is more accurate. That's not the point. Farenheight is no more or less accurate than Celcius. In fact 0.5 deg C has a higher resolution than 1 deg F, so if you have a thermostat in your house that controls in 0.5 deg C increments you're actually getting more consistent temps. Again the main benefit to metric is the logical scale. What's half way between melting and boiling of water? 50 Degrees C, or 122 Deg F.

For weight metric is definitely easier once you're used to it. A metric tonne is 1000 kg, a kg is 1000 g, a g is 1000 mg, etc. Doing conversions is dead easy. Add 0's or change the decimal place, no math or calculators required!

Pressure makes WAY more sense in neither imperial nor metric. What's a PSI? A pound per square inch? Think about that for a second. So imagine your bicycle tires have 60 psi in them. To visualize that you have to picture a 1" x 1" patch of rubber with 60 pounds of weight (in air pressure) being applied to it. KPA is just as random. It's 1000 pascals with a pascal being an arbitrary unit. My preference is ATM. At 60 psi my bicycle tires have about 4 ATM (atmospheres) of pressure in them. That's 4x the normal air pressure at sea level. When I'm tuning a turbo car at 1 atm, it'll have about 100% more air entering the engine than at 0 atm (ambient air), at 2 atm it'll have 200% more air than at 0 atm.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote