Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Do intermediate-level group lessons universally suck?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kauila

What I was asking about was something like this, but maybe standardized by AASI/CASI. This chart was taken from Northstar--it says "child" but maybe also applies to adults?--which I take with a grain of salt as it seems IMHO that Northstar tends to inflate ability because they're all about the feel-good experience.

Snowboard Levels

0 - Does not participate in this sport.

1 - FIRST TIME SNOWBOARDER
Your child has never snowboarded before.
GOAL: Sideslip with direction change on the heel side or toe side.

2 - NOVICE
Your child has snowboarded once or twice and can sideslip on toe side or heel side.
GOAL: Beginning falling leaf.

3 - CAUTIOUS NOVICE I
Your child can perform a falling leaf in both directions.
GOAL: To make basic toe and heel side turns.

4 - CAUTIOUS NOVICE II
Your child can turn in both directions with confidence and speed control.
GOAL: To make various sizes of turns on Blue runs.

5 - CONFIDENT NOVICE
Your child can link turns with less skidding and increased speed.
GOAL: Improve confidence on Blue runs and/or beginning jumps/tricks.

6 - INTERMEDIATE
Your child is confident on intermediate terrain and is linking turns consistently with precision.
GOAL: Work on varying the radius of turns on Blue runs in preparation for moving to Black runs and/or improved confidence with jumps/tricks.

7 - CONFIDENT INTERMEDIATE
Your child can ride all Blue runs, some groomed Black runs and feel confident on smaller jumps.
GOAL: Feel more confident on Black runs and on varied terrain. Possible introduction to half pipe, parks, and/or learn some basic air maneuvers.

8 - ADVANCED
Your child snowboards Black runs but has difficulty riding them consistently with style and rhythm. Can do basic tricks and ride the half-pipe.
GOAL: To ride comfortably in terrain parks, on difficult terrain features and all mountain riding.

9 - ADVANCED/EXPERT
Your child enjoys the challenges of an all mountain experience and terrain.
GOAL: To efficiently ride bumps, powder, steeps and terrain by learning to adapt to all situations and conditions.
Kauila is offline   Reply With Quote