Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread

644K views 8K replies 303 participants last post by  bseracka 
#1 ·
I know it's early, but damn, we need some snow.

Colorado | OpenSnow

That shit looks like a repeat of last season.

#585 · (Edited)
Nvm, misread what you were saying. Yeah there was plenty of fresh to go around, but 6 chair was pretty bad, E-chair wasn't terrible I guess. I just didn't expect many crowds on friday, but I guess people had the same idea I did about coming up a day early.

I just realized I originally said Saturday was awesome, I meant Friday. Didn't go up on Saturday, my brain is turning off -_-

#589 ·
Hit Vail again on Saturday and it was pretty damn good again. Reported 6" Saturday morning and 5" the day before. Found the same exact fresh lines in China bowl as we found 2 weeks ago. Not quite as deep, but definitely not as heavy.

Continued to find fresh snow all day long starting in Sun up, China 2x, Earl's 3x, Pete's and then back to the front. And that is where it sucked, haha. We took 36 back up and went to the front via Northwoods... holy hell it was like a night and day difference between fresh, soft snow in the back... to hard, icy snow on Northwoods. Did a couple laps off of 4 and then got out of the parking garage by 2pm. Just about zero traffic on the way back to the city on Saturday, which I was glad to see, especially since we didn't leave until almost 4.

STILL trying to figure out the parking situation at Vail. I haven't tried the ticket trick yet, usually because I'm too lazy to walk up to the front and get one. Know of some other spots to park for free, but the ease of parking right in the garage kicks when you get off the exit (versus waiting for a bus, etc.). Damn that $25!

#603 ·
Ticket trick didnt work for me....pretty sure there are weight sensors. I thought about going back to my car every 2 hours and driving out and back in but youll still end up paying 15 if you arrive between 1-3, plus if you wanna go to Blue sky you dont have enough time. Fucking cocksuckers are making so much $$$ from those garages. Honestly if I had to pay to park there everytime I went it wouldnt even make the epic pass that great of a deal. The busses are a pain in the ass and not a short ride with 5+ stops compared to any other resort. I need to make a friend in the garage.....

#591 ·
Bump.... anyone reading this, don't head up this weekend. Heard its gonna be really icy, windy, cold, and mountain lions prowling everywhere. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance.

For real though - anyone with a GoPro2? Is the best setting the F3 or whatever its called (I think F3 video = 720p at 30fps)? If it is going to be fairly snowy conditions (not sunshine) is there anything you can do to get better quality?

Also on bluebird days - anything to be done about the video being washed out? I've seen the "UV filters" on eBay - not sure if they're worth the $10.

#612 ·
Also on bluebird days - anything to be done about the video being washed out? I've seen the "UV filters" on eBay - not sure if they're worth the $10.
Try a polarizing filter instead (I'm not sure if they make them for the GoPro)

#602 ·
Actually Loveland getting the shit end on storms is pretty normal. Until March rolls around. Then usually they are getting the lion's share. This set up is pretty normal from what I've seen through most of the 90's and early 00's. Not quite the disparity we are seeing these days, but some places would get around 10" while Loveland got only 2-4. Then spring hits and the next thing you know Breck gets 4" and Loveland gets 16". So cross your fingers...

#608 ·
The last time I went to vail it was super packed and I was parked in the garage. When I was leaving I saw that people were parked along the road right outside of the garage. The one you turn off of to go into the garage in vail village. Is it ok to park there at any time or just when the garages are full?

Its basically right outside of the garage so I would much rather park there for free than park 50 feet from there in the garage for 25 bucks.

#615 · (Edited)
Colorado | OpenSnow

Snow totals are starting to get dialed back a little. Experience tells me that the late adjustments to storms tend to tell you what to expect. If they start backpedaling, they usually don't backpedal hard enough and butthurt ensues. If they start trending upward, they usually don't trend upward enough and that's when we get those sneaky epic pow days. Also, it seems that when good snow is predicted for the divide and for the southern San Juans, the divide always disappoints. NOAA is backpedaling even harder, down to 3-5" for Loveland and most of Summit County on Saturday night.

The Colorado Daily Snow | OpenSnow

Looking at the map, it looks like Loveland is right on the edge of good moisture and skunkage. Based on the current backpedaling and just the way this season is going, I'm hedging toward...

Tomorrow morning's forecast will be key. More dialing back and it's all over but the crying. I sure hope I'm wrong, but right now, I'm planning on a day of getting shit done around the house on Sunday.

Or... maybe Sunday will be a good day for a pre-dawn departure for Monarch. If the recent trends continue, Monarch is gonna get POUNDED.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.