Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Never Summer Proto CT 157 not centered

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  ETM 
#1 ·
My 2013 Never Summer Proto CT (157) was just delivered. I was putting bindings on it when I noticed that the inserts are not symmetrical, meaning that when I use the same inserts on both sides I end up with full 1cm of setback. I confirmed that by measuring many times.

Did any of the proto ct owners notice that? Is it by design or maybe some manufacturing flaw? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I had exactly the same issue with my proto. It was even a bit more than 1cm. Thread about this is somewhere on these forums). Must be a manufacturing flaw if you ask me. I noticed it didn't disturb my riding so I didn't care but you could always ask NS on Facebook or contact their customer service.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for comments. This is a bit of a disappointment for a company that is praised for the quality. Considering that a design setback on most boards is between 0" - 1" I would say a half inch shorter nose is actually pretty bad. I have checked 7 other boards (different brands) and they are precisely as in the specs.

Will fire off an email to NS with that question unless anyone knows someone from NS who could comment in this thread?

#8 ·
Is the board nose actually different or just the inserts? Stand the board up on its side and measure from the contact points(the points touching the ground) to the tip and tail and verify if they are the same. If they are, then just measure from the tip to tail to center the bindings.

#13 ·
For those interested a reply from Never Summer Product Development which I was authorized to post here:

Hey Adrian,

You measured the board from the tip to insert and tail to insert and it is 1cm off ( which means it is around 5mm offset). All of the cores are sanded with an AEM programmable CNC wide belt sander which is calibrated by a computer so the core will be perfectly twin in flex. Inserts however are drilled manually and so small variances may occur. We measured twin boards from other manufactures the other day and there are often variances on any board that is hand made. The variances can be compensated by adjusting your stance with the bindings. Our acceptable variance is within 3-4 mm(this would measure between 6-8mm difference in tip to tail). If you feel that your 5mm offset is adversaly affecting your ride please let me know and I'll create a Return Authorization number for you to send the board back and we'll exchange it out, no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.