Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#3,200 ·
Nice.

I overshot that first table in timberline the other day. landed it but landed on the flat. hard. fuckin tweaked something in my back no bueno. i am hoping it's just a muscle thing and not a nerve/disc thing. Doesn't bother me when riding today or yesterday even hitting jumps it didn't bother me, but it's super tight in my lower back.

I think Leo had a no no on that jump yesterday, too.

If you have not been to Holly lately I'd say check it out. Their jump line is out of this world right now. I was riding solo today and with my 10yo nephew yesterday, so unfortunately I don't have any video of it, but it's a good quad set of jumps with ~3 size jumps at each station, for a total of like 12 different jumps. Plus a few rollers. Plus a small jump in their rope park. Lots of options for getting air.

#3,208 ·
My experience was exactly like yours. I'm glad you took our advice on the Heritage too, she's a beaut.
I am too. For what it's worth, my friend who is at about the same level of riding as I am just bought a Jones Mountain Twin (coming from some generic M3 board or something) and while he notices how much better his new board is I don't think the difference was as dramatic as what I experienced. And remember, I'm coming from a Burton (albeit a low end one).

#3,209 ·
What's up Mich peeps - just curious what you guys think about Bittersweet? I started boarding this January and have gotten out 4 times. I have to work in Mich next week and was thinking about bringing my stuff to get in a night at the hill. Bittersweet looked better than timberridge based on their website, but I have been fooled by trail maps before. Any advice would be appreciated. Tks

#3,210 ·
Never been to Timber Ridge, but the general consensus among people I know that have tend to like Bittersweet better. I think Bittersweet may be a bit pricier though, but it's a fun place to ride. If you stay off the blacks I think you can buy a cheaper ticket that accesses a lot of green and blue terrain, however. Went there for the first time this season and had a lot of fun. Heading back there this Sunday likely.

Their beginner area is a really great place to help a new rider in his/her transition to blues, and their runs are surprisingly long for a southern Michigan hill.

#3,215 ·
Oh, I didn't watch the second video. Someone in his family has to own it though. The lift still works and had power to it (gas?). As cool as it is, they still took advantage of someone's hard work without permission. I'm sure they had no clue about it though so not saying it was anything intentional.

Man, let's all take out loans and buy the place. Worst case scenario, we are in debt up to our eyeballs, but with a private mountain to shred on!

@Trapper, I honestly think you'll love it even more with the right bindings. Truth be told, the Missions are rather underpowered for the Heritage. Something stiffer would probably make you that much happier. Plus you'll have the Missions on swap on it the days you're feeling more playful.

#3,217 ·
@Trapper, I honestly think you'll love it even more with the right bindings. Truth be told, the Missions are rather underpowered for the Heritage. Something stiffer would probably make you that much happier. Plus you'll have the Missions on swap on it the days you're feeling more playful.
Yes once I sat down and thought about it, I realized that the bindings were probably the reason for the board not feeling as stiff as I had planned. For now these will have to do but as I mentioned, I'm not concerned because I am having a blast.

On that note, if I decide to go the Flow route, I'm going to give the NX2-RS's a try. If I don't, I was thinking about some Cartels. Any other suggestions worthy of looking into?

#3,221 ·
Burton: Cartels sound good. Restricted Malavita (just a touch softer than cartels, more comfortable IMO). Diode (probably best match if you can get a deal on these expensive beasts).

Ride: Capo, Maestro (step up in stiffness from Capo), or if you want beasty stiff... El Hefe.
Alright thanks. BTW, if you didn't watch that second part of the documentary on Mount Mancelona, it's worth the time. Awesome. It makes me want to scrape together the funds to buy the damn place.

#3,225 ·
If we ever get a regular winter again we should do a tour of unusual places to ride in NW Michigan. There is also another place literally 10 miles from where I grew up (where my mom still lives) that was a downhill ski area in the 1960s and is now still groomed for X-country skiers. By looks of the satellite there are still some places you could ride if you were willing to hike it.

I have enough family between Manistee and Traverse City that we'd always have free places to crash.

God I wish I was up north right now....just cause I live here doesn't mean that that place still isn't my home.

#3,229 ·
:eek:ccasion14::bowdown::eusa_clap:
Where did you see it so cheap?
Emage out of Denver.
It's nice Leo helps you. I ask him a simple question about goggles at his store and all I get is ridicule for posting a young pic of myself on FB.
Give it time, I'm new. I'm sure I'll also be the subject of his ridicule before long. :laugh:

#3,234 ·
Oh yea I totally agree with you, especially after riding this board. I wouldn't be upset if I had been stuck paying the full price. This is just what I imagine a bonus check at work would feel like, of which I've never had nor probably will ever have. lol

#3,240 ·
Hey Guy's,

Didn't realize that my "Creep essence" had been all that much missed until Leo & Sabatoa sent me some texts! Here's what's been going on since this last weekend,..

Thought I was coming down with a cold or flu on Sat., Went out to PK for evening sesh anyway!
Big Mistake!!
Turns out I've got/gave myself? pneumonia! Been on my ass since Sun. afternoon. Even tho I was feeling really crappy sun. morning,.. I was seriously considering hitting PK for first chair & trying to hook up with Leo to ride too!! ...decided there was no need to spread my germs to his family!!! Good thing I didn't! Leo Probably would have killed me, if riding in the cold on sun. didn't!! :D ;)

Anyway, saw the doc. yesterday, got put on some heavy antibiotics and they seem to be kicking in a bit this morning! Today I'm just feeling sick & really wiped out instead of "On Death's Doorstep!!" ;) So hopefully I'm on the mend & won't have to miss another weekend of riding! (I really wanted to hit the 30 day mark this last weekend!) Oh well!

Thanks for the text's and well wishes Guy's!!

#3,242 ·
At first I didn't have a firm goal, but after I hit 10-15 days fairly early,.. I thought, Hell maybe I should try to hit or even crack 40 days! Not sure that's gonna happen now. Looks like I'm going to miss another day of work today just to play it safe, but I'm out of sick days (...how do you think I got to 29 days already!!) ;) so paycheck will be super short!! So with less money & fewer chances to head up Norht,.. ???? (...here's hoping for some local late season storms!!)

#3,244 ·
Ahh, but you also have to remember how exceptionally warm last March was too. Didn't we have a bunch of days in the 70s and even touch the 80s a few times? That certainly shortened the season by a bit.

I'm optimistic that we'll be going in April at least at the northern hills.

#3,246 ·
Those videos for Mount Macelona are awesome. Lotto tickets are purchased..

I think we will be cold later this year. the Earthquake and monsoon that rocked Thailand or wherever in 2011 shifted the Earth on its axis.

everything is out of whack.

It got warm in March, It didnt get cold until December

It was 64 in Indy Monday, today its 13 with a windchill -1

The seasons are twisted to say the least!!!

#3,252 ·
Last year Mt. Holly and Pine Knob both closed on March 10. Alpine Valley was maybe a week earlier than that but honestly they were done by late February. Up north got killed last year, most resorts also done by March 20. In an average/decent year they can remain partially open until April 1. Boyne usually reopens for a weekend mid-April with a fun ski/golf combo pack for like $40 or something ridiculously cheap.

I don't think anyone's making snow anymore.

Even the places down here, usually have plenty of snow when they close, it's just a matter of people stop skiing and snowboarding, and start thinking about biking, boating, barbecuing, etc. Two years ago PK shut down with 100% of slopes open and 36" base everywhere. It was sad to drive past it and see how much snow was just untouched.