Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Question about skating
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
freetheanimals
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Still struggling with steering the board while skating

I have been practicing LOTS at the Whistler learning area and focusing on some fundamentals, including skating with one foot in the bindings and forcing myself to face my demons with the chair lift often. Today, I did have another bad fall while offloading, though I didn't tweak my knee badly. Again, several skiers stood in the offload area. Since I am still not proficient at steering with just one foot in I did focus on straight ahead. And that worked fine, until I realized one of the skiers just stood right in front of me and stared at me not moving. To avoid hitting her I ever so slightly put pressure on my front foot to try to maneuver the board to the right. The result: I did go right but my board caught an edge and I went flying forward. This really scared me because I met a guy the other day who said he wrecked his knee by falling while he had one foot in the bindings. I will keep practicing but of all the skills I'm learning, one foot in the bindings while skating worries me the most because of potential injury.

On a more positive note, my turns are improving! I had picked up a bad habit of kicking my back foot to finish the turn but have worked hard to avoid doing that and relying more on the front foot. I'm also doing better with straight runs even though the speed freaks me out a bit.