Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Who Started Riding @ 50+ and Why?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
cootcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Ok, let's find out about those of us who saw the light at 50 or over. To get the ball rolling, I'll start.
What's your story?
A year ago at age 59, my poor unexpecting wife goaded me into skiing with our son and his wife. Growing up in Minnesota, I was skiing alpine and cross country, playing hockey and ice skating. Wife and I moved to Denver, CO, had 3 kids and did some skiing on the I70 resorts. The time, expense, and congested traffic caused me to stop for 20+ years.

What my wife did not foresee is that getting on the mountain with our grown children, I would catch alpine fever. I came back and told her, Honey, I had a great time: I'm going to start snowboarding. I went 2 times last season, 4 times this season so far. As an empty nester with a job where I can declare myself a ski day, I am looking for fresh snow days to head up and ride.

At this point I call myself an aggressive beginner, I am progressing faster than I expected. I am heavily armored and that helps.

In my defense, When I was young I was a cautious skier, but always had the vision that I would be sliding down mountains in my old age. God willing, I can't think of a better way to live a little foretaste of heaven on earth.
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote