Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Question about skating
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Lamps
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetheanimals View Post
I appreciate all that great advice. For the most part, I am staying straight when I get off the lift and have not been falling as much. The problem with the Whistler learning area chair lift is the exit is STEEP and the chair doesn't slow down! So I bailed badly recently.

My concern is when I do fall with one foot in the bindings how do I prevent injury? When I fell at that particular lift my board turned suddenly, forcing my front foot to slide forward while my back foot came off the stomp pad. That twisted my ankle and knee badly. Now, I'm a bit nervous about practicing one foot in even on gentle slopes because if I fall I could injure my ankle and/or knee.

As a newbie, I'm aware that even if I heed every bit of advice I'm going to occasionally fall. So how do I protect my knee and/or ankle while skating with just one foot in?

Beginner chairs are often fixed chairs, i.e. the chair doesn't slow down when you exit. They make the slope steep so that if you fall down the chair goes over you rather than hitting you. This is cold comfort for you as you have to skate down a steep slope but there is method to the madness.

I haven't read the whole thread but you seem to be getting lots of good advice, it gets better over time, and remember you are one lucky dog to be able to go to whistler so frequently.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote