Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - When to sharpen edges?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
pdxrealtor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
A bunch of the basic edge tools that you see in shops (like the Dakine one, but they are all identical/from the same China supplier) offer 90 degrees and 88 degrees only.

IIRC, the BG is 0 degree base and and 90/0 degree side], so if you have gone 88/2 on the sides you have really sharpened the edge.
My recommendation/what I did with mine:
- I would not do anything to the base of the edge, other than occasional removing burrs with a stone (and fix any major nicks).
- Use the 90/0 setting for the side edge.
Worked for me.
Thanks for the input. I've been trying to get all my info straight while dealing with other issues the last couple days, and wanted to share the info I came up with.

From GNU, called twice to double check, the Billy Goat comes with a 0* base / 1* side which would be 89*.

I had a minor base grind done at the end of the season and the guy put on a 1* base bevel / 1* side bevel , which put me at 90* I didn't know this when I was cleaning up my edges, which were pretty bad.

Long story short I did my edges only to end up at 91*. Having only the 90*/88* edge file option I re did them at 88* which put me back at the stock 89* but with the 1* base bevel.

For the record.... I must have been high when I mentioned earlier that I used the 90* tool on my base edge. At least I hope I was..... because that would have been a problem.

I've since ordered this kit -

https://secure.racewax.com/c=3lXglZ9...with-file.html

Along with some gummi stones.

I'll add one more degree to the side bevel and leave the base alone. That will put me at 1* base and 88* side.

From that point on I'll have the tools to easily maintain very sharp edges.

I can't believe how much I've slacked on overall maintenance this year. It'll be interesting to see the difference on the runs I take over and over.

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 02-20-2013 at 01:08 PM.
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote