Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How to spin a corked 540 vs flat 540 (quick trick tip breakdown)
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Cheers guys, good feedback! Yeah Snowolf, if you think this is good enough for the video lessons thread I'm happy to have it added there.

@Casual - I'd suggest learning back 5s first, but corked 5s come really naturally once you get used to the whole "oh crap I can't only see sky for the first half of the trick" feeling.

As David z said, corked 5s are one of those weird natural rotations. If you cork and spin exactly 540 degrees, you can usually land on your feet. I've had backside 5 corks during my learning stage that somehow landed on my feet despite me not knowing where I was in the spin until after I landed.

As far as corking slightly or a lot goes, yeah that's up to you. You can cork a little or cork a lot, it all depends on how 'downwards' you throw that shoulder on a backside 5 cork. I find it almost easier and more fun to just throw it fully inverted on 5s though.

If possible learn into powder first though, if you rotate too much you can over rotate into a 720 and butt check/compress your spine if you aren't prepared for the landing. I almost prefer under rotating a little on a bs 540 because than I just fall on the front of my body as oppose to landing heavy on my back.

@Basti - That's a good idea, only tricky thing is trying to get that footage since I ride by myself most days and my friends usually disappear to go film video parts on the few sunny days we get in Whistler.

Might have to figure out something with a tripod to get that 3rd person view.

Last edited by Jed; 02-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote