Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Why don't companies publish equipment weight?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
BigmountainVMD
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
Have you ever picked up 2 large pieces of wood that were the same size but had the exact same weight? If snowboards were made of composite materials (like bikes) then It would be easy to publish accurate weights, but I think anything with a wood core is going to vary too much from board to board when they are being produced, much like 2 of the same guitars can vary quite a bit in actual weight, because that's what happens when you make things out of natural products. That would be my guess as to why you don't see weights listed for snowboards.
Good point. I'm curious what the standard deviation would look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Of course TheGoodRide star ratings are also pretty much random and have no/little connection to actual weights (or in some cases even their own reviews).
Case in point: NS Cobra (which is a light deck) has the same 2 star 'average' weight rating as, say, my Skate Banana (which, in fact, does weigh more).
Still, it makes no difference in use - other then when lugging the board up the mountain maybe.
Yeah, I was just saying they are the only people even attempting to quantify it.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote