Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gear recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
luckboxing

Default Gear recommendations?

Time to get out in the backcountry...

I just ordered a Pieps DSP Tour beacon from Canadian Cartel. Seemed like a good deal for $259 and I found lots of positive reviews so I hope it was a good purchase.

Can anybody recommend a good probe, shovel, and pack? What else should I pick up? I plan on taking an AST 1 course as soon as I get everything. Can anybody recommend one in Whistler? Seems like there are lots to choose from. I've read that a 300cm probe is a good idea for the PNW. Would that apply to Whistler as well?

Escape Route and Excess Backcountry are the two main shops here, but I'm willing to shop online to save some money as I didn't find too much help in the stores.

As far as bags, I was looking at the smaller Dakine Heli pack or Baker. I'm looking for a small pack that I can wear on lifts with a board carry system. Just need room for a shovel, probe, skins, poles, and maybe a water reservoir system.

I'll probably be riding a bit of sidecountry for now, but shopping for a splitboard by the end of this season and planning on buying a sled next season.

Any other advice is appreciated.
luckboxing is offline   Reply With Quote