Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Why don't companies publish equipment weight?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #52 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
That was my bad. Not trying to call you out here, just wanted to hear your opinion.
No worries about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
I would disagree and say that it nullifies your argument. Have you ever worn ankle weights? I promise you, your legs will be more sore when them at your ankles than in your pockets. Leverage man... leverage.

The weight position is the variable, the fulcrum (knee) and leg length are constant values, as is the position of the acting force (muscles). The muscular force needed to move the leg increases as the weight is moved further towards the opposite end of the leg. If the weight was just below the knee, less force would be needed to move the leg than if the weight was at the ankle. Same applies to the hip. Moving the weight to the body removes this leverage effect from the leg.
Don't agree with that. When boarding we are not really moving our legs the same way as when we are walking, i.e., with knees and hips being the fulcrum of the movement.
Rather, in boarding most of the leg movements are flexing the ankles and knees/hips. For these movements the ankle weights would actually be closer to the fulcrum, i.e., have no impact on the muscle effort.
In contrast, with weights in the pockets every time you flex (bend/straighten) your knees you are basically do a squat with weights, adding significant effort.

For full disclosure: I use ankle weights for speed and strength training, but have yet to ride with them
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote