Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Worst. Movie. Ever.
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #85 (permalink)
snowklinger
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I actually am a big Kubrick fan, which is probably why I was disappointed in this movie. I recall reading somewhere that Kubrick himself wasn't very satisfied with his work on this one.

Took me a couple of tries to like 2001: A Space Odyssey but I eventually grew to like that. Not the same on this one for some reason. For what it's worth, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket are among my favorite movies of all time.

I'm following you though and may even give it one more try as a result of this.
The thing with Eyes Wide Shut to me is that it is more of an art piece. I'm not privvy to Kubrick's feelings on it after completion(he died pretty quick there), but I know that the process he took to make it...it was supposed to be his crowning achievement. I really don't love Tom Cruise, but the cinematography (as usual, but even more so) in conjunction with the music really causes a visceral, gut reaction, where your body is responding to the film as much as your mind is through the script or storyline. In this sense and with different expectations I can enjoy it.

My favorite movie all time since I saw it is Dr. Strangelove and Lolita is right up there almost tied. Both movies the product of 2 geniuses at work, Kubrick and Peter Sellers.