Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Tire chains?
Thread: Tire chains?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Meh, it's marginally snowboard equipment related. Cables work fine and are easier to use than chains imo. Chains will grip a bit better, but you won't be able to drive quite as fast.

What state are you in? A good set of snow tires will often serve you much better than cables/chains. I know here in Colorado, I have never put cables on my vehicle to travel in the snow. Front wheel drive with studded snow tires have proven to be better than regular tires and cables for me. Some states you'll need to have the cables, especially places like California and Washington where it pukes a ridiculous amount of snow. Add a warmer climate and icing becomes a huge issue when compared to Colorado where it doesn't really go through a freeze/thaw cycle. It's just frozen. Either way, it's a good idea to have chains or cables in your vehicle just in case. Though I have never been forced to use mine, I have put them on from time to time and keep them in my car all winter.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote