Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Union Force PROBLEMS

13K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  East§ide 
#1 ·
I am quite disapointed as of late with my new union forces. I have used them 3 times in total and the toe strap is CRAP I REPEAT CRAP. It sticks no matter how I position or adjust it. Yes I have done all the adjustments you can do (toe strap length, heel cup adjust, toe strap forwar and backward adsjustment etc etc) I have been reading and have found this is a common problem.....Quite dissapointed.....

#2 ·
Word. When I was selecting bindings 2 years ago I was going to go with union because I heard good things about durability but the toe strap scared me away. I went with flux and am loving it:yahoo: Flux changed the toe cap the season after I bought my pair so I cant comment on them now.

#6 ·
The ratchet sticks. Its like I have to pull on it hard to release it and when it does release its like a pop like its breaking but its not. The ankle strap releases real nice but the toe strap is a bitch. And no it is not cranked all the way down. There is about 4-5 teeth showing.

#7 ·
When your pulling up on the ratchet do you just pull the lever up? I have found with some bindings they open easier if you pull the ratchet lever up with your main fingers while applying pressure downwards on the opposite end of the lever with your thumb.

Wow thats hard to explain, but hopefully it will help:dunno:

#10 ·
Going out tomorrow....I either find a solution and decide I will keep them.....or I'll sell them. Really pisses me off....270 dollar bindings and coming from a binding only company and I get this.

#13 · (Edited)
The toe strap buckle will not be as buttery as a burton ever, but will loosen up around day 7 or so.

I prefer the non-compromise of Union's strap/buckle because I know it's not coming off of my boot until I want it to. I can't say the same for a couple of other binding companies I use(d).

It just takes a small pop a the end of the run, use some muscles. However, if taking off a toe strap with more effort is that much of a deal breaker....move on, I guess.

JoeJoe, how many teeth are showing on the ladder when you're cranked down?

#15 ·
Nah, this isn't ever going to get better. I'm about 20+ days on mine and it's still the same. It appears the teeth have quite a slant on them so the stopper in the ratchet doesn't release cleanly. It really gets locked in there. Burton and Flux use a 3 stage ratchet design and Union is a 2. They release in different ways. What you do get though is absolutely no stripping of the ladder with this design. 3 stage ratchets lift as you ratchet and skip teeth. It's a trade off either way. I prefer the ratcheting power of the Union ratchets over the easy release of the Burton and Flux.

#14 ·
I'd agree, my Burton's were like butter pulling off the toe strap and these are a bit of a struggle. Other than that, I like the Union's very much. Althoughhhhh it is a pain because the Cartel's were a quick flip and I was out of my binding and ready to go and these take me a few seconds more.

#22 ·
It's because they don't offer a true cap. Union won't offer a true cap because of legal issues (they don't hold the patent). Essentially the front lip of the Union cap doesn't curve inward. It's insignificant. Most of the problems people have are because of user error. I guess people really need fool proof gear now a days.

Gonna disagree...... Union toe cap works great with square toe boots... sucks with rounded smooth toe boots. Union said issue was my Salomon boots and recommended I change my boot brand (to more of a boxed toed boot) to fix my issue with toe cap. To their credit they did offer to send older Force toe caps. :dunno:
I'd have to disagree with this. I have boots with both rounded and boxed toes. They work great with both. I always hear the opposites of these arguments. One guy couldn't get it to work with the rounded toe but can with the boxed, the next guy can't get it to work with the boxed but can with the rounded. The new split cap is pretty decent.

I was having toe strap issues with my new Force as well, but after spending a good couple hours on this thread (starting around this page) I was able to pretty much dial them in to perfection.

EasyLoungin

Toe strap is no longer riding over the top of my AF1 and I also have a much easier time releasing the strap.

Bottom line - not all boots fit the same in all bindings. I really had to tweak the shit out of them, but couldn't be happier that I took the time to do it.
Take the time, get it dialed in, and it's as good as any other. Unless you're just looking for a reason to bitch.

#19 · (Edited)
It's a pretty antiquated argument. They had a toecap before 2011-2012 where, if you didn't dial it in correctly it would slip off of the toe. I had the problem as well, but then I sat down and figured it out. The pre produciton, new designed toe cap was a little big and people who demo'd were up in arms, so they fixed that too.

The current production toecap, aside from the buckles being a little sticky, is my favorite as it grips the boot in every condition I have encountered.

Word on the street is Union has quick release buckles for 2014....that's just word on the street.

#20 · (Edited)
It's a pretty antiquated argument. They had a toecap before 2011-2012 where, if you didn't dial it in correctly it would slip off of the toe. I had the problem as well, but then I sat down and figured it out.

The new toecap, aside from the buckles being a little sticky, is my favorite as it grips the boot in every condition I have encountered.

Word on the street is Union has quick release buckles for 2014....that's just word on the street.
Gonna disagree...... Union toe cap works great with square toe boots... sucks with rounded smooth toe boots. Union said issue was my Salomon boots and recommended I change my boot brand (to more of a boxed toed boot) to fix my issue with toe cap. To their credit they did offer to send older Force toe caps. :dunno:

#21 ·
I was having toe strap issues with my new Force as well, but after spending a good couple hours on this thread (starting around this page) I was able to pretty much dial them in to perfection.

EasyLoungin

Toe strap is no longer riding over the top of my AF1 and I also have a much easier time releasing the strap.

Bottom line - not all boots fit the same in all bindings. I really had to tweak the shit out of them, but couldn't be happier that I took the time to do it.

#25 ·
Im riding 2011 union forces and my bro is riding 2012 unions (forget which model).

We both struggled in the beginning but eventually we both subconsciously got better at it and now it pops off easy.

It also integrates perfecty with my 2012 Burton Grails

#26 ·
Well guys Thanks for the tips. Also thanks to union for EXCELLENT customer service! I emailed and had a reply within 24 hours saying they would send me new ratchets, new toe caps and ladders for free. All this happened within 48 hours! Very pleased with this service. I will keep tweaking the toecaps and try to get them right. Thanks again guys!

#29 ·
I did the same. Replaced my Atlas straps with Get-a-grip's. They don't tighten well and when you try they strip. I went back to the Atlas.

What didn't you like about the Force straps? I found this years to be their best rendition yet. It's got more of a curve to it than my Atlas strap does. I found it caps pretty snug.

#30 ·
i was helping a kid out last weekend, he had the union mc bindings, and the toe strap was stuck on maaaaaaaad tight. crazy tension, and he JUST bought them. carry an allen key with you, just in case. after a good while, way more then we should have spent, we were able to get em free.:thumbsdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.