Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Favorite ungroomed areas for intermediates in the PNW
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
If you hit Mt. Hood on a powder day, both Meadows and Timberline offer abundant off piste terrain that will serve beginner through expert levels. Timberline has the most green terrain but don't assume it's boring. The runs off of Jeff Flood and Stormin Norman are long and have all sorts of rolly polly terrain with wind lips and natural half pipes through open glades and dense old growth timber. Still creek is a mile long ravine through timber too tight to navigate with sharp twists and turns when you get better at aggressive off piste tree riding. Upper and lower Bone Zone is just about the most fun a person can have on a snowboard and the terrain is mellow enough that even a beginner can ride it. Depending on how you ride it and what natural features you hit, you can turn into a super advanced natural boarder cross run. Just too many options to list.

Meadows is the cats meow for limitless off piste riding on upper green and blue terrain with plenty of double black terrain for the experts. Off of Vista, there is an area called Badlands that on a powder day is so fun and the terrain is all open blue in rolling hills and gullies through dispersed trees. Playground and Marmot Ridge off of Cascade provide unbelievably playful blue off piste terrain.

Shooting Star is almost all open blue off piste terrain as is Hood River Meadows. In addition there is unlimited possibilities off of Easy Rider, Daisy, Mt Hood Express and Stadium. Like Timberline, too many options to list!

If you come to Hood on a powder day, it will blow your mind....
Just spotting these on trail maps...I don't see Playground near Cascade, and Marmot Ridge is a black, not blue...I take it it's an easier black then?

And at meadows, is Badlands that area under Vista Ridge, skiers right from the chair?

Also, I see the Still Creek chair, where is the ravine?

Thanks for the tips, gonna make a road trip to OR, but not sure if Bachelor or Hood. I think it's probably gonna be Mt Hood due to proximity.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote