Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#3,363 ·
Not bad at all. we didn't make first chair or anything, rolled in to the mountain around 9; the gondy was less busy today than yesterday, and were still hitting fresh tracks on the backside at noon. By noon it was slightly more crowded but never waiting more than like 2 mins for a chair back there and conditions were pretty much all time.

Probably the best snow I've ridden. So light you couldn't stay on top of it, but it didn't matter as long as you were on a steep enough line you could just point it and push through it.

#3,365 ·
I'm planning to hit PK around 3-4 today! You game?

#3,369 ·
The snow was surprisingly good @ PK yesterday! It was my first day out, after a two week post pneumonia recovery and I started out pretty rocky! (...felt like I forgot how to ride my Arbor for my first few runs!! I even crashed off the lift my first run!) :eusa_clap: :laugh: :laugh:

...but after an hour or so I started to get my legs back & once they re-groomed for the evening session, things got a LOT better & I logged a new personal best speed record!!

Last season, (...my first full season.) I topped out at about 27-28 mph, and this season I cracked 32+ mph pretty early on. I believe I may have gone faster on some runs up @ Boyne earlier this year, but I didn't get them "Officially" logged! Last night I was hoping to crack 35 mph and managed to log a couple runs at 36-37 mph and topped out at just above 38.4 mph for the night!! It was a blast!! :D

I know this is not "Blazingly" fast,.. but it's not too bad for a skier crowded run that's less than .20 miles long! I'm going to Boyne Highlands later next week so hopefully with some longer steeper runs, and some decent snow conditions, I can "Officially" break 40 mph!! :thumbsup:

#3,374 ·
I think I hate you!!! ;)

Lucky man! Looks like Awesome conditions! Wish I could get out there & enjoy summa that Myself!!

BTW,.. What were you riding?

#3,380 ·
The effect with the different blocks of footage deep into the video. I wasn't feeling that as much. It might have been better to have multiple screens of different scenes drifting about then rather than just the single small block of screen. I think that kind of effect would be best with bluebird footage too since you need clear footage for such small real estate.

Outside of that the only thing to improve that I can see was out of your control, the lighting.

Helmet mounted stuff is hard to make interesting but I didn't find myself bored watching this at all so you did good.