Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - steep run HELP
Thread: steep run HELP
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #101 (permalink)
seriouscat
Rides Caturdayz

So after another 3 hour lesson of free riding techniques. It seems like the pandora's box has been opened and everything that was learned previously have been called into question.

I can do cross-unders no problem on smoother terrain, but had trouble with them on big bumps. We worked on super exaggerated twist motion then tried that with cross under movement/Down unweight while adding in upper body alignment. The whole thing feels like learning to snowboard again, info overload on the muscles, not mention the pain.

Then we practiced a few things that seemed complete opposite of snowboarding knowledge. Shoulder movement (not exceeding the new edge change direction, which required opening up slightly on carves and tight turns, the amount of opening is asymmetrical on toe and heel edge changes. It also dictates which edge is optimal for different terrain changes ahead.

Then we went into reduces edge angle overall even on steep terrain, drill was trying push feet almost flat with terrain. The idea is with minimal twist you can spread some snow over the terrain coming up next and avoid digging into bumps/rocks trees underneath snow on variable conditions, and use the base to push against uneven ground to establish support.

The gist is that I need to make any movement that is not dependent on snow conditions as primary areas on control in off piste terrain. (Shuffle feet to move weight aft-fore, upper body movement, twist motions.) Seems completely opposite to the intermediate lessons.

The advanced level of riding is like another ball game. I didn't think it would get this complicated. I thought I might be getting close at decent free riding, but it just seems like years of practice before I can proclaim to be proficient.

Bonus points, learned how to euro carve (poorly)