Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - riding switch
Thread: riding switch
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #105 (permalink)
Gdog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
The transition from one edge to the other is the dangerous point in the turn. Too soon or too late and you catch an edge. Your body remembers that from learning the first time. Good news is you'll learn it a lot faster the second time.
This is the exact problem I've been having recently. I caught an edge earlier this season doing this switch and slammed my tailbone really hard on ice!
Holy crap it hurt! I was lying there on my back for a good few minutes, holding my ass, gritting my teeth, repeatedly chanting "shit, shit, shit, shit, I've broken something" in a whispery voice. That's just how friggin painful it was.
I was convinced I'd broken my tailbone, but I realized soon enough that I hadn't. This actually surprised me. And made me order a pair of slam shorts the next day. Probably the best thing I've bought this season, because it did happen again a few times but this time I only felt the impact and, so this time I could actually walk up stairs the following week!
Also saved my tailbone on a few big jumps. I'm not trying to scare anyone else here learning to ride switch- I'm just pointing out that Donutz made a really good point.

If you're local hill is always icy like the one I've been going to, a pair of slam shorts wouldn't be a bad investment if you're learning to ride switch.

As far as skills go, buttering has really improved my switch riding, and it's fun! I learned to butter properly this weekend and now riding switch is a lot easier because if things get too sketchy I can just swivel back into my regular direction. I'd recommend learning that if you haven't already. It also tastes good on toast!

Last edited by Gdog42; 03-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote