Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - riding switch
Thread: riding switch
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #109 (permalink)
glaucon

Just wanted to add that I'm loving getting into switch.

I've been riding for nearly 20 years and never had any desire to learn switch or spend any time in the parks (I used to do laps when I first started out but I can't afford to injure myself these days so I stopped that). Up until a few weeks ago, I was all about the trees, steeps, and bumps, and thought switch was useless for me and a waste of time on the slopes. I've always had a directional board and didn't even think it was possible.

But then this year I started going with my girlfriend, who is a low to mid intermediate, and I was looking for something to keep me occupied as she falling-leafed her way down the slope (she has since gotten much much better, thankfully). So I tried switch.

The first couple of days were pretty brutal (including one really bad edge catch on hardpack leading to a tailbone slam, pretty much exactly as Gdog described), but by day three I was pretty fluid and wasn't catching any edges. Soon after that I was hitting 180s in the flats both frontside and backside, regular and switch. By the end of day 4, I was switching back and forth at least every 100 feet while carving between each switch. It's such a giddy feeling.

I've found that the directional board doesn't really reduce the ability or fundamentals of riding switch in terms of turning, the main problem is that it's just really slow (this is on a NS Raptor). But I'm not at the point where I need more speed at switch yet.

After riding this long, I really wasn't expecting this whole other level of enjoyment. Flipping 180s and riding out switch feels sooo good! (and for some reason, especially the first heel-to-toe turn after a 180, I have no idea why).
glaucon is offline   Reply With Quote