Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Wrath's 1st split adventure

7K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  wernersl 
#1 ·
Sat. met up with the daughter and her crew, we did a few resort mid-chair laps on pan, chute and snaggle tooth, lunch and then out towards table via the blueberry gate. Generally cloudy and fog with few quick sun breaks and 24 degrees.

hot pink pants

pup teaching the old dawg new tricks

the line

dropped on the middle hump, about the same place I did the summer line last july

See less See more
#5 ·
Crossed my tips, fell over sideways, gliding down & falling over tips, turtled with the pack on (x2) and trying to roll over in the bottomless, a kick turn with a 2' step up, got tangled up---2 sticks, 2 poles & ass in the middle...wtf:icon_scratch:. And each time I could not get back up with out getting out of my bindings, sinking waist deep crawling back on top and then strapping in to get going again. Luckily the crew was filming hitting a knob (not me) so they just let me roll around.

#6 ·
it all comes with time, soon you will feel as comfortable on the skins as you on the board. A couple days scooting around on tele gear makes skining feel more natural. i even picked up a tele setup for touring in really flat areas where there is nothing much to ride down.

#7 ·
walove is dead on. You just gotta spend time on your setup. There is some steep skinning to get up on the ridge just below Table if you are starting from the parking lot. Just take your time. Go down to Stevens and let Ale drag your ass around that pass. Lots of everything there. Great training ground and tons of fun terrain.

#9 ·
Hey Wrath, I had my first tour on Thursday last week with Snowolf and ShredLife up at Mt. Rainier. It was AWESOME! I didn't find the kick turns to be to crazy, and luckily, we didn't have to do any that were too big, or else I might of. LoL! I did manage to whack myself in the face with the pointy end of the ski pole while trying to mess with an elevator. Thought, "Well, that sucked, but not to bad", then an hour or so later Shred asks me if my nose is bleeding? I was all like, WTF? No..... Oh yeah, I whacked myself with a pole! :laugh: Baker looks fantastic right now. Way to get at it Wrath!

#11 ·
There is no need to leave that incredible terrain at Baker to ride with someone you don't know and who isnt an experienced coach. Help me out with a couch to flop on, a hot meal, A few brewskis and a hot shower and and I will drive up to you and give you the full day on snow version of my course including mountain safety and avalanche awareness training as well as any riding coaching and MA you might want. A day of lift riding would also be in the works as I am not going to drive to Baker and not spend one day shredding lift accessed goodness and a local rider would be awesome as a guide...:eek:ccasion14:
Snowolf, my bad for not extending an invite. We have a wee bit of a house but, if the middle kid is on the boat (merchant mariner should be gone until feb/mar) there's a twin, a double and double blow-up mattress in the mostly dry partly finished basement, waxing and repair tools and some great micro brew pubs within a short crawl. Perhaps we could try to put something together for 3-4 guys...bring Shred, pickup NWBoarder, DZag, Ale...it would be fun.

#16 ·
Idk, the circus happens on these dates; perhaps the thing to do is drive up on a Thursday, do a resort tour on Friday to get an idea of conditions and even do some lift served slack; and do touring on sat/sun to avoid some of the wkend tourist. Anyway I got this weird night shift 7 on, 7 off wed to wed schedule, however it might change to m-f day shift...but should be able to get time off with some planning.

The banked race is February 8 - 9 - 10....feb could be good but often is dry cold cascade concrete til later feb.

Mt Baker Splitfest on March 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2013 ....who knows might be darn fine with warmer poo.

#18 ·
That looks sick. When my ankle is fully healed (if) I am stoked on getting a splitty for the wife and I. Had planned on building one this year but after the injury, I am just stoked to be able to lap the groomers this year.

And Big Ups to the kiddo! Looks like she is having a good ol time with the papa.

#19 ·
pup teaching the old dawg new tricks
Love this pic! She seems to have a great time with you (ur still not sure if you like it...?)
Would have loved to have such a dad trying new stuff to spend time with his kids. Pretty cool! :thumbsup:

#20 · (Edited)
Yesterday, Mon. went out solo to the same spot and dropped the same line but went just for practice skinning/transitioning...and did not fall over...however did skin backwards/in reverse a short distance on a steep part of the cattrack when comming back in. Daughter and her bf were going with til they got side tracked working with pro patrol doing avy training. Anyway, knew where, could see and despite looking great it was 3" of fluff on solid boiler plate crust.

#29 ·
Well Ive never split before and have been giving it some serious thought. Even thinking of picking up and older NS Summit and making my own to start on. Now, to find someone in SoCal to go with!

Anyone here ever ride an older summit with traditional camber? I love their RC, but never liked deep pow with traditional camber. Then again, never been on a dedicated pow board either.

#30 ·
I have not ridden the Summit with camber, but "back in the day" my pow board of choice was this magungus Atomic Radon 169 fully cambered. No cambered deck will hold a candle to RC in powder. My 156 NS Raptor or Billy Goat outfloats that huge 169 without breaking a sweat. Now my buddy rides a Summit split and I have take a few turns on it. Probably the best powder specific split out there short of something split tail like the hovercraft.
Yeah I'd love a newer summit but won't be able to spend the cash on one anytime soon. But... Every once in a while I'll me across the older summits and curiosity strikes me. Or... I'll just wait. Buy the 14 Raptor in a shorter length for my daily ride and split my current RaptorX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.