Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#3,429 ·
...and I just beat THAT! 42mph!!
WAAHOOO!!!
(...scared the shit outta myself too!!) :D

#3,433 ·
1. Ignore your fear
2. Conditions have to be right (snow, lighting, etc)
3. It has to be the right kind of run, long enough to get to and maintain the speed and your GPS to record it. Steep enough to book. Long, unobstructed line of site so you can see at a distance what is coming so you have time to micro adjust.
4. Minimal people on the same run
5. Ignore your fear

#3,438 ·
Yes, this I am learning. Actually, I've made some drastic improvements overall with my new board, which doesn't chatter and shudder as I go faster like my old one did. (I tried to explain this to my wife as the difference between going 80 down the highway in a Cadillac versus a rusted out Pinto). This in turn has improved my confidence and allowed me to steadily improve each time I go.

However, she still fucking zips by me on her skis like she's not even trying and it just pisses me off. Tomorrow hopefully I can make some strides as I'm assuming I'll have nice groomers and low traffic to deal with.
Yeah she's got an advantage with those long ass skis. All things being equal with skill and confidence she would always be faster than you.

I've never ridden a park board or anything noodly but your analogy fits everything I've ever heard.

#3,439 · (Edited)
Yeah she's got an advantage with those long ass skis. All things being equal with skill and confidence she would always be faster than you.

I've never ridden a park board or anything noodly but your analogy fits everything I've ever heard.
Ha, her skis are only 146s! The main difference is that she's so stable and just fucking straight-lines it without fear.

edit: I was pretty proud of myself on my last couple of runs at Crystal last Saturday night though. I passed more people than those who passed me, including a bunch of skiers that I let drop in ahead of me (though they weren't bombing it like my wife likes to do). I don't have a GPS to measure my speed or anything but I felt like I was cooking on those runs, at least for me.

#3,437 ·
This might be a stupid question, but would it be worth paying for a lesson or should I just keep riding and experimenting? If they were cheaper I'd buy one tomorrow, but 69 bucks an hour is pretty steep to me.

#3,445 ·
HOT DAMN!! Alpine Replay logged a speed of 47.1 for one run and Ski Tracks has me at 45+ on another!!!! :yahoo:
Im not 100% sure I believe the 47.1, but since Ski tracx has me in the same speed range on another run, Im gonna claim it anyway!!

Not only hit my goal of cracking 40! I SMASHED IT!!
From 38mph last weekend to 45+ today!!!
WAHOOOO!!!!! :yahoo:

Lost the light now so gonna switch from my Arbor to the NS Proto n play with my butters n presses!!!!

Kung Fu lou, u get out here b4 4:00, look me up!

#3,447 ·
Where you planning on hitting 60 Dave?

Oh wait, nvm.

I'm gonna try at Crystal. I know I've broken 50 for sure if I got 48.5 at holly lol. I need to just keep my app running.

Unless of course it's slushtastic.

I still think the best spot for speed runs is south peak at cab. I'd like to pay that place a revisit.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3,450 ·
I'm gonna try at Crystal. I know I've broken 50 for sure if I got 48.5 at holly lol. I need to just keep my app running.

Unless of course it's slushtastic.
Last year we were at Crystal in Mid March and it was the slowest snow I've ever been on. We still had fun though.

#3,470 ·
I don't get it because you can basically get the same exact thing on Gorge. Or Wally's for that matter, which is covered in moguls this year too.

#3,472 ·
Yea. I don't understand why they'd put moguls on Thor when they have so many of them on Gorge and Wally's which are both fairly steep. I hardly saw anyone go down Thor the couple of times I've been there recently.

#3,482 ·
About vertical speed, it can be approximated with math. The more satellites being used, the more accurate calculations will be.

Ski Traxx claims to use special algorithms for accurate readings. I'm gonna take their word for it.

We already know the horizontal speed was pretty spot on when we did that car test Sam.

Also, that other app I showed you that places your trail on the ski resort map was pretty accurate about my tracks. It was even showing the little dips in slope I was hitting I noticed. I'd have to see it in real time though. Maybe it tells the time of my run too. I should stop watch myself and run that app as well.

If it's not accounting for vertical, there should be discrepancies between my stop watch and the app tracking the time of my run.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3,502 ·
This forum is starting to piss me off. What's with the Influx of fucking pricks? In the past month, I've had more douchebag comments made to me than in the past two years.
I must have missed that thread/post. That's why I mostly like to stick in this thread, it's seems to mostly be older guys that can actually have a discussion. Maybe we can have a Seasoned Riders Section - 25yrs older and up.