Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Returned to Boarding after 10+ years
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
EastCoastChris

Default Returned to Boarding after 10+ years

Hey y'all. I'm new to the forum...and old skiier/boarder coming back to the sport.
I grew up in Maine, basically at Sugarloaf mountain. I went to college basically at Sunday River (lol) moved to NYC to chase a career and sadly ended my boarding days.

I recently got sent to a 3 month assignment in the Bay Area Cali. I got sick of watching the paint dry in my hotel room, so I had the hubby send my apparel and I headed up to Northstar one day!

Soooo...here I am, back hooked HARDCORE. Seriously..why did I stop riding?
I'm hoping someone is in the same phsyical/head space as me because I have a couple questions.
1) 1 week on from my boarding trip, my calves and quads are still buring. See when I was a youngin, I never had to try to stay in shape. It just happened. Because being 16 is so much more awesome phsyically than being 35. Does this fix itself if I ride every other weekend for rhe rest of thw season or I am looking at hitting the gym and doing squats and box jumps?
2) I'm looking a purchasing a Rome intermediate all mountain board. The Rome Vinyl 2012 is on sale at EVO for $169. When I rode as a kid it actually predated park jibbing and twin tips. My last season at the Loaf they started the outlines of pipe. I used to ride a 152...fast...and air was limited to popping off rollers. My rental board last week was a soft Burton 138 typical rental. But at lunch I just paid some extra to demo a 148 stiffer rocker board and I liked it better. I dont want to cut myself off from learning park really...just not something I've ever really done. Plus I'm kind of a big girl as in heavy. I'm 5'5" and weigh like 155 or so now. I'm mostly a mid pack 10-15 mile a week runner for my cardio (not opposed to doing interval training again) but if I start getting below 150 my ribs start showing and its gross. So does this mean shorter jib boards are pretty much out for me anyway?
3) Wth is with all the tech on the mountain now? Why are ppl riding with headphones and iPhones? Why do ppl have cameras duck taped to broom sticks and their helmets and crap? (I will say tho 90% of riders wearing helmets is good to see...no one wore a helmet when I was a kid. Its a welcomed cultural change.) Really...shut your crap off and have fun on the mountain. Its unsafe and it makes you look a little dbaggy.

Any suggestions on boards, conditioning and avoiding crappy snowboard YouTube videos will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance hive mind!

Last edited by EastCoastChris; 03-09-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typos?
EastCoastChris is offline   Reply With Quote