Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread

644K views 8K replies 303 participants last post by  bseracka 
#1 ·
I know it's early, but damn, we need some snow.

Colorado | OpenSnow

That shit looks like a repeat of last season.

#1,279 ·
hoping something will open tomorrow after tonight's storm, but who knows. will probably be the only day i can make it up!

anyone have any inside info in the denver area - please pm me?

was looking to go to abasin cause i have a taos pass, but free tix don't kick in till nov. 12th, so would be down to go to loveland too...

#1,280 ·
I don't think anyone is going to open tomorrow. If they are an announcement should come out in the next hour or two.

If there is going to be an opening, I think at this point Saturday would be the most likely day this week. That would not surprise me, but the snow has to come through tonight big time.

#1,282 ·
I have nothing to do tomorrow and was thinking about going up in the mountains and making a couple of early season turns. I'm thinking after this latest round of snow some of the grassier areas might be good to slide around on.

Judging by some of Argo's pics, vail pass looks like a good candidate for tomorrow. Looking for any info or other suggestions. Has anyone been up to Bert or LL yet? Any other areas I should consider?

#1,294 ·
You might give Loveland Pass a go.

I'd like to point out that the Jones Pass Snotel is down a lot lower than the Summit. 10,400 versus over 12 at the top of the pass. I know there is a building I can see from the Summit on the Grand County side but I am pretty sure that is not the Snotel site. It's too close and it doesn't look 2k vertical below.

Anyway, the snow field up there got a pretty decent shot of snow last week. With some winds and probably more than an inch (2-4 maybe?), along with some wind loading, it's probably pretty good. Bring a partner if you go up there. It's a fair ways back there and it is already time to start thinking about avalanches where there is enough snow to slide.

That said, I think that spot is a good bet.

#1,301 ·
Ended up going up to Jones pass today. I think I was expecting a little more snow than there was. I saw a few pockets of ridable snow but not much. We had a some time constraint issues and at one point it started snowing pretty heavily so we didn't make it all the way up but we got a couple of turns in.

It was my first time there so it was a bit of a learning experience ( I should have driven my car up a lot farther up the road) but it looks like a great place to ride and the approach up was pretty easy. I can't wait until it fills in more.

I think I might go back this weekend if for no other reason than to familiarize myself with the area.

Wasn't a whole lot worth taking pictures of but I did get a couple before it started snowing.

Snow Winter Wilderness Tree Recreation

@ the trailhead

Snow Winter Mountain Hill Geological phenomenon

@ 11,600' looking Southish? (I think)

#1,302 ·
Oh man, you should have driven a much longer way up there! Hahaha. The Summit Peak in the distance there? Yeah, that is where the rideable snow is. At least I think that is the Summit shot. It can get sketchy getting up there with a fresh layer of snow like that. I've seen some interesting accidents over the years up there.

Butler Gulch wouldn't have been a bad spot to hike into. The gate you pass on the left early on in the hike is the trailhead for that spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.