Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #3538 (permalink)
trapper
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinajura View Post
Until I get to the point where I can successfully turn with both edges, not lose control & end up going way too fast, and not fall a ton there is no way I am going on any trails more difficult than the easiest ones (that have a chair lift... that carpet thing was so slow!). I don't want to get more injuries than I already have recovered from if I can help it. Its bad enough my knee is still bruised and swollen from Saturday.
I know exactly what you mean because at the beginning of last season (2011/2012) I was exactly the same way. I went a couple times the spring before but hadn't successfully linked turns yet and my wife was pushing me beyond my comfort zone. Usually that's not a bad thing, but she didn't understand that I couldn't just point it and go without the ability to stop. It directly led to me taking a bad edge and slapping the back of my head on the icy hardpack.

So in the offseason I lurked here a lot and read a ton of posts then the following season I took that knowledge and began doing better. As for the fear of going down certain slopes, sometimes you have to ignore it and do it once you can generally link turns. I've probably progressed slower than typical because I'm cautious by nature, but I'm at the point at the end of my second full season of being mostly bored with greens, tackling a few blacks and being most comfortable and having the most fun on a steep-with-variable-terrain blue run. Columbine at Bittersweet, Canyon at Caberfae and Abbey Road and By George at Crystal, for example, are some of my favorite runs around.

So just stick with it, it comes eventually. Like I said, if Bittersweet is local to you then that's a good place to progress in my opinion.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote