Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - When to upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Casual
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novokaine View Post
So I have been boarding for about 25-30 hours total.

I am riding a Burton Clash.

I am noticing that I can't hold my edge very well on steep terrain. And I sometimes catch an edge when riding flat or getting lazy.

You could say I am still a beginner

is it too early for me to be upgrading to that stiff of a board?

Your not being able to hold an edge is not because of your board, you can see if sharpening your edges help but my guess is that its technique. In fact I will tell you with confidence that a softer rocker board can be easier to navigate in moguls than a stiffer camber board, it is just easier to throw around. It's also easier to catch an edge on flat on a rocker becuase they tend to want to pivot/wash out so just keep an edge at all times and don't get lazy. Your board is fine, infact I'd say its a pretty decent board to learn on and changing it now could actually hurt your riding.

For the life of me I can't understand why people associate quality with stiffness. Stiff boards are a preference, not an upgrade.

I ride all terrain on a 157 Ride Kink, 4 or 5/10 flex, soft boots barely tied up and med/soft bindings with my board heavily detuned for park and yet - I can hold an edge on steep terrain 45-55' pitch with no issue, I can charge moguls and ride pretty sketchy windblown hardpack. Its all in your technique. Just keep riding.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote