Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Whistler BC - Weather calling for rain, mean snow in mountains?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
But isn't the peak to peak gondola at the peak?

I was at whistler a couple of weeks ago when they had a Pineapple Express roll through, similar to the next weather setup I believe. It rained hard in the village and they had solid amounts on the hill overnight (bout 40cm I believe) but it was just absolute shit. So thick, heavy and wet. Not enjoyable at all. And not just that, they shut the alpine down. Due to the increased avvy risk with that type of snow. Trees were essentially unrideable due to the quality of the snow. It was seriously the worst day of snowboarding I've ever had.

You could face downhill on a black run and not move. I remember pretty much bombing the hill from the top of jersey cream chair, making one turn and coming to a complete stop.

Interior bc/Alberta are much better bets.
No, peak to peak gondola is just below the alpine. You have to take one more chair to get up to the alpine from the peak to peak gondola.

The alpine was actually tons of fun after they reopened because we had a ridiculous amount of untouched snow up top. In Whistler our run conditions really do change daily. We can have rain one day and it'll be perfectly fine 1-2 days later, especially if we're talking about the alpine.

I wouldn't really judge Whistler based on the few rain days we get each year Especially if you don't know where to go riding to get the good stuff.

But that's why I always say the trip experience for someone coming for a holiday vs. someone spending a whole season is totally different because it's so weather dependent.

Last edited by Jed; 03-11-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote