Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - To wear or not to wear a Helm?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #200 (permalink)
mosf88

I am 45 and never wore a helmet since I started skiing in the late 80s, through transition to snowboarding last year.... until a couple of things happened this season.

- Ultra icy conditions early this season and I kept catching edges like crazy. Several slams backwards into the ground while my kids were around and I was 3 hours from home really started me thinking.

- Doing much more aggressive runs and seeing the effects of higher speed and greater angles got me thinking some more...

- Then my son and I decided to try park. That was it - I bought a helmet first and never looked back. I have a Red Trace, its comfortable both in feel and temperature regulation.

Now I can do whatever and not have to think about it. I just put it on and keep it on and I made peace with that. Partly at my age there are bigger things to be worried about... I know people fighting cancer, raising disabled kids, unable to find work, etc, etc...how can I get worked up about a helmet?

My kids need me around for a long time so that is a big factor for me....but otherwise I think its pretty cool to be riding at my age, especially in the park with the teens and 20'somethings, and I would hate to lose that.
mosf88 is offline   Reply With Quote