Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Buying my first used setup

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  bulbasaur 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site I think this is the right category..
I've posted this question on some sites but got next to nothing in replies.
Thought I'd try my luck here!

I'm 5'2, 115lbs and boot size 4
I'm hoping this board will last me until something breaks.
I don't really mind using youth gear since it's cheaper and it fits.
I have a pair of K2 Kat BOA boots and K2 Mini Turbo bindings (haven't opened).

This is the board I'm interested in.
Woman's K2 Snowboard (138 cm) with Rome Bindings (sm) - City of Toronto Buy & Sell Goods - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.
K2 Skyla 2011 (138cm)
Rome Strut Bindings (sm)
Seller is willing to sell it for $180

Does it look like it's in good condition? Is it suitable for my level?
The seller won't let me purchase just the board so should I use the Rome bindings or the K2 Youth ones I already bought? (I can still refund them). According to the sizing chart, the Rome (S/M) fits 4-9, would I be better off using the K2 Youth ones since they fit 2-5 (tighter fit) or would the youth bindings be too flimsy? There's only one strap.

I also found another snowboard that's only $70 and wanted to ask if this would be a better choice. It doesn't come with bindings so I could use the ones I already have.
K2 Spire - 139 - Great Conditon - Perfect Beginner Snowboard ! - Mississauga / Peel Region Sports Goods For Sale - Kijiji Mississauga / Peel Region Canada.
It's a K2 Spire 139 (looks a bit old though) - not sure if it's a men's board

or
Roxy inspire 134 cm girls snowboard AND bindings set - City of Toronto Sports Goods For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.
Roxy Inspire 134
Roxy Bindings (s)
$175
But 134 seems a bit short.

I'd really appreciate any advice any of you have since I don't know anything about snowboards! (Sorry for the long post!)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to tell from the pics, but the first board (the Skyla with Romes) looks to be in excellent shape. It's also the right size for you for a beginner board. The second one might be fine, but the third one is too short.

I'd try to talk them down on the first one, and return the K2 bindings you already bought.

Are you still growing? The Rome bindings will last a lot longer if they'll fit size 4-8...

My GF had a K2 Luna for her first board and loved it... It lasted 3 seasons of rocky mountain boarding! Still in great shape but she decided to move on this year.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I think I'm done growing (sadly). I'm 19.

The seller won't go lower than $180 sadly that's why I was hoping the 134 might fit since I could probably talk down that too $140. Last week I used a rental that was 135cm it was okay I liked how it was so light. But I guess for the long run I should have a longer board?

#5 ·
I think I'm done growing (sadly). I'm 19.

The seller won't go lower than $180 sadly that's why I was hoping the 134 might fit since I could probably talk down that too $140. Last week I used a rental that was 135cm it was okay I liked how it was so light. But I guess for the long run I should have a longer board?
$180 isn't a bad deal if it's all in good shape. From the pics it looks pretty good to me, also since it was recently tuned there's money you don't have to spend right away.

Yeah you don't want to go too short on the board. For your size a 139 or so is pretty much ideal. Of course a 134 is rideable and would actually be easy to learn on, but you'd probably start to outgrow/overpower it sooner than later.

I stopped growing at about 13... Still waiting for a growth spurt! :blink:

#7 ·
$180 isn't a bad deal if it's all in good shape. From the pics it looks pretty good to me, also since it was recently tuned there's money you don't have to spend right away.

Yeah you don't want to go too short on the board. For your size a 139 or so is pretty much ideal. Of course a 134 is rideable and would actually be easy to learn on, but you'd probably start to outgrow/overpower it sooner than later.

I stopped growing at about 13... Still waiting for a growth spurt! :blink:
I was hoping for a good beginner set up for around $150 haha. The stance looks a bit wide though but since I don't know my stance I guess I'll get used to it since I don't want to spend the extra money remounting it. By the way, a newbie question here. I saw videos on waxing but they were all on the base. Is there any maintenance required for the top part?

I guess I'll go with the K2 skyla for now. Any tips on what I should check for when I meet up with the buyer?

I've been waiting for a growth spurt since 12 too. :(

#6 ·
Haha, the guy at rentals was laughing at my small boots! I like how the second one is cheaper. It's $70 + $50(my bindings) = $120 + binding mounting fee. It'll probably end up being around $40 cheaper. But the seller hasn't maintained it so I'm not sure.

#8 ·
Just examine the board, check for deeper gouges in the base dings on the edges or bad chips on the top sheet bend it to make sure there's no creaking or cracking sounds or soft spots. Check to see if you can see the camber lay it the board flat or side down the edge.

Don't worry about the mounting of your bindings or your stance, we can help you figure that out. As for waxing and tuning your board save your money we can help you do that to. There are lots of the YouTube videos for waxing, you can use any old iron and wax.

One thing to note, with your small feet take off your shoes and stand on the board where you normally stand on the board and see where your toe and heel lie with wise. Hopefully your toes and heel will come fairly close to the edge if it's more than I don't know and a half inch on both the heel and the and the toes then that board is probably too wide.

There's nothing to do on the top sheet for maintenance except some people put rain – X on so that snow won't stick.

#11 ·
Wow! That's a lot of useful information. Thanks a lot wrathfuldeity and poutanen! This is a really friendly forum! :)

I don't understand the mounting terms and numbers and I don't have any boarder friends but ill cross that bridge after I've gotten the board!

Looks like it's snowing tomorrow and next week in Toronto. Hopefully I'll get to try out this new board before the season ends! :yahoo:

#12 ·
Wow! That's a lot of useful information. Thanks a lot wrathfuldeity and poutanen! This is a really friendly forum! :)

I don't understand the mounting terms and numbers and I don't have any boarder friends but ill cross that bridge after I've gotten the board!
I just always try to impress the new girls before they figure out I'm a creep. :dunno:

Yeah once you get the board we can teach you all about setting it up. There's lots of good info out there and once you know the difference between stance width, stance angle, etc. it's easy! :yahoo:

#15 ·
OMG you are pretty much exactly my size! Even the same size boot!

You've gone a bit shorter than me with the board. I'm on 146 (mainly because that was the only one left on sale - but it feels like a good size for me) and they started me on a 138 rental. I have short legs and my bindings are 19" apart. If you're more proportional maybe try 20" to begin with?

How much of a freaking pain is it buying boots? My store had like ... 2 pairs of boots in my size and had to special order them from the warehouse. And from what I've read, small feet limit the boards that will work for us because we can't twist the board as well as people with larger feet. At least small sizes always go on sale (I got my boots plus custom insoles for half the price my husband paid for his boots) - but I think I'd still rather have bigger feet!

#17 ·
I was looking at a 147 board before but I wasn't sure if it was too long and now it's sold out. I think I prefer the shorter board though, the long boards are so heavy and my feet get tired, especially when the rental bindings are too big and the toe strap does nothing. They usually give me a 143 board, but since I brought my own boots last time, they gave me the 135 because they saw my foot size and that was the only board that fit the boots.

I'm actually normally a size 5.5, but these boots fit for some odd reason! They're made for growing feet and have removable foot beds so I guess that's the reason why? But I agree, I'm loving the youth discounts. Got the boots for $70. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
So I got the board today!

I checked the board and it looked okay except there were a few rough spots. The bindings were adjustable so I made them smaller to fit my boots. But the end result is that I have a lot of strap hanging out since I still need to strap it till almost the bottom. (I'm explaining this bad) And I think the back of my boot is closer to the edge of the board than the front is that a problem?

The space between the stomp pad and the bindings are where I put my boot when getting off the chairlift but I guess it still works that way. But the stance is a bit awkward or maybe I'm just not used to it.

Attachments

#21 ·
It's hard to tell aboot the back foot? If you can peel the stomp pad off & move it to a more comfortable spot, give-er. If not, no biggie.

Other than that, I think your good to go:thumbsup:

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.