Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Best 2012 rear entry Bindings Flow vs Gnu vs K2?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #46 (permalink)
wildhorse

@Leo

I have the correct size of the bindings. Binding size - L. Boots - Burton Ion 43 EUR (UK 9), previously Flow Rift 44 EUR (UK 9.5).

The amount of strap tightening needed depends on how tightly the boot is laced up and if the boot/binding is wet/frozen or dry. So in the morning you have to set it up slightly looser to be able to slide in. Boots are Burton Ion, before had Flow Rift. After a few rides, you have to tighten the binding more as ice builds up on the inside of the strap which makes sliding in easier. If you decide to tighten/loosen the boots (lunch?), you have to adjust the bindings again. If ice builds up on the bindings adjustments may be needed again. I played with the strap and highback position/angles enough so you're not speaking with somebody who rode 3 seasons on the same settings..

Unless you tighten the bindings so much that you can't slide in anymore properly in NXT-FSE (AT or other type), you will get some heal lift. Not much - perhaps a few mm, but you will get it. There is a big difference in the feeling when the binding is manually tightened so there no heel lift at all - same feeling as in traditional bindings.

I stand by what I said and mentioned problems with Flow bindings are the main reasons why they are not very popular. I don't see experienced snowboarders around me switching to Flows because there is nothing they can gain. Nobody cares about the few extra seconds they save. Flows are mostly used by beginners (maybe 1 out of 15), and as they advance, they switch to traditional bindings.

If Flows work fine for you then keep them but ordinary people better stay away from them. So far I haven't heard anything that would save my NXT-FSEs on my board.

Last edited by wildhorse; 03-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.
wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote