Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Under or Over when it comes to Gloves or Mitts?

45K views 23 replies 23 participants last post by  Deacon 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd ask this question and see what the results are. I know it makes little difference when it comes to warmth or performance. It's more of a preference when it comes to which you prefer, under-glove or over-glove?

Mine is under glove or mitt, I truly hate over gloves due to having to cram the cuff of your jacket into the gauntlet. To me it seems so weird, like pulling your socks over your pants. Some people argue its easier to get snow in your jacket but I've never had an issue with it. To me an over glove looks bulky and cumbersome, difficult to get on and off, and a pain in the ass in general.

Again it's preference and I see lots of riders using over gloves but to me I see more skiers using them these days. Still it's how I prefer to ride and I won't buy a glove or mitt these days that isn't designed to go under my jacket cuff.

#7 ·
My mitts have gauntlets. I use them. I personally find it easier to have them over rather than under. I also find it to be warmer for me since my old under gloves were always popping out of my jacket sleeves and letting snow in.

#21 ·
Wrist gaiters are a love hate thing. A lot of the higher end jackets actually dont have them. Yes, they may stop the snow initially...but when they get wet..they can actually become more annoying. I think the key is having a long cuff glove.

And agreed that putting gauntlets over your sleeves works better but looks dorky...haha. All the pros sport it under...so that must be the right way! ;) ;)

#23 ·
I have had fine success with over and a synch, although I feel a lot has to do with the jacket. Right now I'm wearing a NorthFace Dolomite jacket and that thing has more ways to hook additional gear on to keep snow out than i know what to do with.

But another reason I like the over is because it seems to go with the grain of when my hands go through snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.