Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Afton "Alps"

9K views 65 replies 15 participants last post by  Punkwest 
#1 · (Edited)
THIS, sadly, is our best local hill. 350 whole feet of vertical, with the longest run being 3000' feet. :huh:

THIS is also what Vail Resorts just bought. :giggle:

See less See more
#3 ·
Lol, makes sense i guess. The problem is everybody that went out west this year after they started advertising the deals got shut out at Vail, Breck, all of em. They better get their poop in a group for next year, or they're gonna have a ton of pissed off guests. Like me, cuz i'ma gonna try to get out there next season.:laugh:

#10 · (Edited)
I think they have to. Short runs, long slow lifts equal ridic lines. It'd be worse without so many. Plus, there's no good way to get from run to run at the top. I mean, i link as many runs as i can at afton and it equates to maybe a minute ride. :thumbsdown:

#11 · (Edited)
Granite Peak is my local hill and I work there. I'm not being biased when I say it is the best that Wisconsin has to offer. Not even close.

Another 5" of snow hit Wausau last night and it's still snowing here. Better get here quick though...spring hours start soon and the hill also closes for the year on April 7th.

#18 ·
I was at Afton last Wednesday with my four kids. With 10 inches of new snow and clear skies it was a great day. We got there early and stayed late. By far the best day I have had at any resort in the metro area.

My wife is having some knee issues so she spent the day in the main chalet. A group of architects came through and were discussing the plans to remodel the main chalet. The new owners are investing $10 million in Afton.

I hope the rain last weekend didn't wreck the snow out there. I would like to head out there at least one more time this year. Let us know how the conditions are after you go this weekend.

#21 · (Edited)
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Afton, I have my season pass there, I just wish it was taller. I think they've done a GREAT job with what they have to work with. The staff has been great, the food at Paul's Pub is lights out, they let you tailgate, and they even try to accommodate the hard to please park rats.
:giggle:
I went Friday night and it was already icy again. The rain, qnd then being windy and cold just packed it all done and iced it up good again. I went the day it snowed and yeah that was a blast too.

#24 ·
Deacon, have you been to Afton at all this week? I may go Saturday. Curious what the snow is like.

I went to Wild Mountain on Wednesday. I was suprised to see the melt. It seems like a ton of snow in my front yard but not on the hills. Spring is coming.

#26 ·
Deacon, have you been to Afton at all this week? I may go Saturday. Curious what the snow is like.

I went to Wild Mountain on Wednesday. I was suprised to see the melt. It seems like a ton of snow in my front yard but not on the hills. Spring is coming.
I went lat night. They still have a good base, but it was a pretty rough ride. This morning it maybe ok with the grooming, but if we have another 45 degree day like yesterday I'll probably stay home. I think I'm gonna huck it out to granite peak today. I like their spring prices! :D

#22 ·
Granite Peak is much better than Afton, but that's my opinion. GP is double the vert and has more to offer. And Vail bought Afton to drive business to the resorts out west. While they'll make money off of Afton, at least i would think they would, this is definitely a marketing strategy as well.

#23 · (Edited)
I'd be suspicious of any resort that's a golf course and ski area all-in-one. Don't know if I could handle the 100 yard runs for very long, either...have to be pretty desperate. However, I know there's lots of places that are even flatter, with even shorter runs, less lifts and less snow than afton.

#56 ·
I live in Kanas City and I get a season pass to Snow Creek each year. They do a good job making snow and keeping the terrain park fresh. They rebuilt the park 3 times this season and average 3-4 each season. They make some very nice jumps and have rails that would fit in most medium CO terrain parks.

Granted, Snow Creek is small with very few runs but it is fun to get out and ride regardless. I just lap the park for 3-4 hours at a time when I go. The center run isn't that bad either...with the valley and slopes up either side...it is fun to ride up the sides and butter 180s and 360s. I actually went to Snow Creek 28 days this season and really enjoyed it. I made it out to Colorado for 15 days. Naturally, Colorado is more fun but I'm thankful to have a place this close that I can go out for an afternoon and have some fun.

Seriously, spend some time in the park...they do a great job and is is pretty fun.

#41 ·
Glad to see you enjoyed Granite Peak. For this time of year the conditions are really good. Another 3 inches of snow fell last night and there is another storm coming Sunday night.

Glades here are the best I've seen in several years. Rode them a good two hours yesterday before I had to go back to the groomers. Tree skiing just takes too much of my energy.

Lutsen is bigger than Granite Peak, but if you are South of Wausau you are looking at one helluva drive to get there. I think it's 6 hours from here. I'll put GP up against any other hill in Wisconsin though for overall experience.

Took some footage yesterday with my Contour. Hoping to mash it up this week and will link something up here real soon. I'll likely put it in the "Granite Peak" thread though.

#42 ·
Are you in your 40's with a beard? I saw a guy riding around yesterday with a goggle cam... Wasn't too many people there.

Yeah, the GP thread would make more sense. I've kinda hijacked my own thread. :D

#52 ·
Yeah, I saw you were looking at a new board.

We killed it two weekends ago. Even the bottom of my feet hurt. I thought that would be our season. We went on the last day at Wild last year. Pretty icy.

We are thinking about season passes at Afton next year. Maybe even the Epic Pass. I need to make some money:dizzy: 5 snowboarders and my wife wants to ski next year too. I need to make some cash. Thanks for the info. See you around.

#53 ·
Yeah, ive been trying to talk momma into the family four pack (our youngest is 3-- she doesn't need a lift ticket), but she doesn't want to cough up $1239. I might ge the epic limited if I can work out going west for a week next season. But I'm also looking at maybe $1000 in new hard and softgoods. Thankfully we usually work a crapton of ot in the summer.

#60 ·
Well we only got a couple inches, but Troll said they got 8, and they opened up another lift, 15 runs open, same price. If I don't have to work, i'll be there all day. If you go, look for the guy in the grey Cottage View Drive-In hood. It'll probably be me. Say hey. :laugh:

#61 ·
I am at a home school conference in Rochester. To cool for school:cool:

Bluebird powder day at Trollhaugen today. Let me know how it goes. Tomorrow is my B-Day. I was hoping they would open. It would be a blast to snowboard on my B-Day.

#62 ·
It was really fun, but a complete zoo. The parking lot was packed, and they had two lifts open, so the lines were ridic. The snow was fun, but by 3 I was starting to see ground peaking through in some spots. it was only 40, but the sun is really, really warm. I couldn't even wear my helmet, had to lose my base layer and goggles. I spoke to an instructor, and he said they're thinking about opening tomorrow. Really just depends on the weather. Rain= closed, but if it snows again, and he said it's supposed to, they'll open. Here's hoping! Happy birthday!:D

#64 ·
Tow rope only, but still open 10-5 this saturday... My little ones have first communion, but I'm still going to try to find time for a few turns. I can't stop, i think I might have a problem.
:unsure:
:D

#66 ·
I was at afton alps twice this year. I thought it was quite fun minus the short runs. They had lots of neat park features and I loved the one terrain park where they had like 50 different rails in that small area. I will for sure visit it again next season. If ya got a weekend to kill Lutsen is pretty awesome for the midwest! I have my season pass at giants ridge and it's a pretty alright place also. I try to hit a few different Midwest hills every year. This year it was afton and Mt. Bohemia. I always go to spirit mountain and lutsen every year both very enjoyable Midwest resorts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.