Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - REVIEW; Neversummer Raptor 156
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #161 (permalink)
neni
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTracers View Post
Alright well I want a big mountain powder board so what would you recommend that comes in a smaller size. Would the Jones Flagship be a similar type of board also is the 154 of that too big?
Depends on how you ride. I (120lbs, app. 450 days of boarding) have a Flagship 158 and love it (yes, its stiff, yes its work, but for me that's part of the fun ) and my husband (190lbs, app. 800days) rides a Raptor 164. We like to ride fast/aggressive, to carve as long as the muscles will work and then call it a day. If one likes to cruise around (that's what a lot of people acctualy are doing when they say they're "carving") most of the time, both boards are wrong. The Flagship is too stiff to ride forceless (you'll get concussion from the bumps if you don't use your legs to absorb), the Reptor gets bitchy and bucks you off if you don't concentrate. They're like thoroughbred horses, they want to run fast or they get uncomfortable.

Got the opportunity to ride the Raptor 164 today in various conditions and felt comfortable with it. Got almost bucked off in the first two carvs (hell, the acceleration is incredible) cause I didn't pay enough attention but after getting used to that, it was fun. Though bit heavy. I'm pretty sure, I would be happy with a Raptor 156 or 159, even if I'm "only" 120lbs. The Flagship is 158 and still suits my weight.

Best thing is to test the boards, check, if they match your riding style and if you feel comfortable. Weight is only one variable of the calculation.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote