Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - New Subforum Sticky Drafts
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
sedition
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default How Do I Figure Out What Kind Of Board To Get (draft)

I. How Do I figure out what kind of board to get?

There is no set way to determine this. However, I will suggest a method of approach. This should get you in the ball park.

a. Riding Style:
First, determine what your riding style is. There will be more info on this in a bit. But for now, if your going to be riding half-pipe 100% of the time, you really really don’t want to buy pure racing board. Thus, before you do anything else you need to figure what kind of riding your going to be doing.

b. Cost: Second, how much money do you have to blow on a new deck? Once you know this, you will be able to narrow your search down a bit. More info on board costs will follow later on.

c. Other Factors: Third, if you have really big feet you may need a “wide” board. This will further reduce the number of boards you have to research. If you are a larger person, you will need a longer board. More info on proper board sizes will covered later.

d. Brand Names and Models: Last, by now you should know what kind of riding your going to be doing, how much money you have to spend, if you need a wide board, and NOW you are ready to start looking brand names and specific models. Many people START their board shopping at this step. This is a HUGE mistake. Brand name and specific model should be the LAST thing you consider, not the first.

II. Where Can I get More Help?

There are a lot of places to turn for help, but be careful. The three most common mistakes that people make when searching for help are:

a. Taking advice from someone who doesn’t have a clue as to what they are talking about. (There are many of these people out there)

b. Taking advice from someone who is heavily biased for or against certain brands. (e.g. people who say “Don’t buy Burton cause all Burtons suck!” or “You’re dumb if you buy anything but a Never Summer.” Often these people have real basis for their argument. In essence, all they are really saying is “I don’t like peas, and you shouldn’t either.”

c. Buying into market hype. Examples: “This board is the most technically-advanced freestyle board made today!”, or the classic, “Our boards are made BY riders, FOR riders.” Snowboard manufacturers spend tremendous amounts of money to attract you to their products. They will make all their products sound like they are the best thing you could possibly buy.

Again, the key is aggressive research from multiple sources. Frankly, you are foolish if you take advice from a single source, particular a faceless person sitting on some computer attached to the Internet (Yes, this site included). If you are lazy and take the first bit of advice that you receive, you have a much higher risk of buying a board that is not best for you.

FAQ CONTINUES AT THE "How Much Should I spend on a Board and Boots?" THREAD

Much of this information was paraphrased from an article written by Chris Uriarte, Mark Helwig and David O’Malley. Some of it is even directly quoted from them. We are taking no credit for being the original authors of this work, and give credit to Chris, Mark and David. Thanks, guys.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

Last edited by sedition; 11-23-2008 at 03:02 PM.
sedition is offline   Reply With Quote