Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - New Subforum Sticky Drafts
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
sedition
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Do I Need a Wide Board? (DRAFT)

I. Do I Need a Wide Board?

Many riders don’t realize that board width is just as important as board length. If your boots are too large for the waist of the board, you risk experiencing the phenomenon known as “toe drag.” This is where the front of your boots drag against the snow when you come up on an edge. This, of course, is not desirable. The only thing that should come in contact with the snow is your board itself.

Riders who have boot sizes of 10.5 (men’s) are typically branded as large-footed riders. There are particular boards built just for large-footed mutants. Typically referred to as “wide boards”, these boards usually have waist widths that are over 260mm in width. Two other things can also factor into this. First, some boots are bulkier than others. If you end up with a really bulky boot, you may need a wider deck than if you have a less-bulky boot. Second, is binding angle (see other thread in this forum for information on binding angles). Bindings set are certain angles (+15 / -15) can reduce toe drag. However, you should NEVER set you binding angles up for the sole purpose of eliminating toe drag. Last, be weary of any salesman who tries to sell you a full -wide board the moment you tell him that you have size 11 boots. These days, sales guys should be familiar with the concept that all wide boards are not exactly the same.

Much of this information was paraphrased from an article written by Chris Uriarte, Mark Helwig and David O’Malley. Some of it is even directly quoted from them. We are taking no credit for being the original authors of this work, and give credit to Chris, Mark and David. Thanks, guys.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote