Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - To wear or not to wear a Helm?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #212 (permalink)
honeycomb
It ain`t easy being steezy

I got my helmet last year, mainly because I wanted speakers in the ear pieces. I hate wearing earbuds and none of them fit my ears good, they're always slipping out. I've been boarding for 15years(damn...I'm getting old ) and never had any major injuries. Two weeks ago I got a mild concussion trying miller flips on a ~15' solid ice jump. First try went well, almost landed but under-rotated a bit and washed out. Second try I hit it with more speed, too much, threw it late and missed the hand drag completely, overshot the landing, over-rotated and whipped my head onto the ice. What happened after is a long story I might tell some other time, don't really remember any of it but the ski patrol and some locals at the hill filled me in, ended up at a hospital. To keep it short, I was supposed to fly out to St. Louis with my work for a trade show the next day. I missed that flight since I was released an hour before it was taking off, but I was able to fly out the next day and work the trade show. I had a headache for 3-4 days and for a week I was a bit out of it, it felt like I just got off a boat all day, just wobbly and dazed. Without a helmet I'm sure it would have been much worse, I might still be in the hospital.
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote